67 Fury 440 Engine Problems

Let me clarify some things. SportFury70 is a young lad learning what he can about engines and cars. The car in question is his stepfathers. I have known his stepfather since high school (40 years) and he is a mechanical engineer and a very good mechanic. I think that SportFury70 has left out some details.

This engine was a professionally built 520" stroker built by very well known engine builder who sadly past away. This is the same engine builder that built my stroker and strokers for several people that I know. My fingers are crossed hoping that the honing solved the problem.

Strokers sound nice

Yes they do, especially with a TTI exhaust like ours has :D. I seen your car before in a few pictures and videos and it is very very nice and it runs a pretty good drag race time too

I think that SportFury70 has left out some details.

This engine was a professionally built 520" stroker built by very well known engine builder who sadly past away. This is the same engine builder that built my stroker and strokers for several people that I know.

This is true, and actually my stepfathers engine was built in I believe Ohio by the builder. I did actually leave out a detail and I believe a few other details as well as @FURYGT did mention, I mentioned in this thread earlier that the car "went through" 3 ignition modules. I made a mistake, we swapped out and tried 3 ignition modules to see if it made a difference to the engine and it did not.

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to update you on how the engine is coming along. A lot has been done and is very close to being started for the first time AGAIN. Wiring is the next thing on the list. So far just to name a few items the top of the engine is painted again, the header gaskets and headers are on, the intake and gasket is on, the carb is on, water pump is on. All we basically need now is just the radiator, fan, wiring, and fluids as far as I know. See the pictures, they speak for the progress
engine 1.jpeg
engine 2.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks great!!!!

Did the machine shop give you any numbers for the bore and pistons??

Sorry for a late response. To answer your question no sir, the cylinders were just opened up .003" and the car still does not run.

Hi all,

We finally got the '67 stroker 440 Fury out of the garage yesterday, and took it for a little ride. We thought honing the cylinders would do the trick, but unfortunately it didn't. :BangHead:. It runs exactly like when we started before we honed the cylinders. We took it out and romped on it a bit and it was pinging, so we brought it home and adjusted the timing, put it in gear and it stalled. We checked the thermostat, water pump housing, and other temperatures and they were all in the normal range. Any thoughts of what else it could be? Would HATE to take this engine out and swap it for a stock one after all this time and money invested. Any help would be appreciated

Last edited:
As soon As things loosen up, I’m coming your way. I live in MD and will bring my airstream so we can be safe. This stuff has to stop!!

Last edited:
This has me puzzled. I spoke with SportFury70's stepdad, one of my oldest friends. It runs great until it gets up to operating temperature and then it pings and if you park it, it acts like it gets vapor locked. Aluminum intake, cross over blocked, phenolic carb spacer & a phenolic Demon carb. Heat sensor gun shows 170 degrees. Mopar electronic ignition with a marine rated ignition module, Accel coil. Please help my friend. Thanks!

This has me puzzled. I spoke with SportFury70's stepdad, one of my oldest friends. It runs great until it gets up to operating temperature and then it pings and if you park it, it acts like it gets vapor locked. Aluminum intake, cross over blocked, phenolic carb spacer & a phenolic Demon carb. Heat sensor gun shows 170 degrees. Mopar electronic ignition with a marine rated ignition module, Accel coil. Please help my friend. Thanks!
I'm not sure about the pinging but, the vapor lock type hard start could be related to the pick up coil. I know of no way to test this other than parts shotgun which I hate to suggest. Another way if a spare old points dizzy is on the shelf, drop it in and see if it improves. That's about all I have.

I'm not sure about the pinging but, the vapor lock type hard start could be related to the pick up coil. I know of no way to test this other than parts shotgun which I hate to suggest. Another way if a spare old points dizzy is on the shelf, drop it in and see if it improves. That's about all I have.

Before he took the engine apart he tried 3 different distributors.

Timing Chain set 2 degrees advanced, just the way the engine builder had it. Retard the timing and the engine won't idle even with increasing the idle speed. 10.5 C/R with aluminum heads.

Timing Chain set 2 degrees advanced

Coming in late on this one.... A little spit balling here....

Depending on the cam, that could raise cylinder pressure more than needed.

IMHO, a stroker engine is meant to be all bottom end torque. Advancing the cam to add more might be counterproductive.

Fuel delivery has been touched on, but I don't know if it was tested.

Some of the symptoms sound like a fuel delivery problem. The vapor lock and possible lean out at temperature. Has fuel pressure been checked? The pump may not be putting out enough flow to satisfy the need, especially once things warm up.

Is there just a mechanical pump? I would check fuel pressure before and while running... A cheap fuel pressure gauge taped to the windshield might tell you volumes about what is going on.

Back