'67 Fury III wheelcover question??

John Reddie

Reaction score
My '67 Fury 4 door hardtop has the period correct spinner wheel covers. The driver's side front apparently moves some when I am driving because after several days use the valve stem is cocked to one side. The other wheels have the same covers but stay put like they should. I have bent up the little contact tabs and I recall someone once telling that if you put strips of Gorilla Tape on the rim where the cover makes contact can help. It hasn't. Any tips here will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
John

I’ll give you my 2¢ worth as I love full wheel covers and think it’s a shame when a troublesome set gets pitched to the junk pile.

Are all the wheels the same? If you have a different style rim this can affect the way they seat. I’ve installed covers over everything even on magnum 500’s with no issues so they’ll usually fit on any old rim but not always. If it’s an oddball rim under the troublesome cover well there you go.

Next is the wheel cover a noisemaker? Some covers are multiple parts and when they get loose they get loud and the noise is them flexing. That flex makes them want to exit your vehicle. Hope some of that helps.

One thing I can tell you is metal valve stems will not give an inch. Think the kind on a cragar SS.

Throw up some pics and let the other experts on the site weigh in. They might see something obvious and easy to fix.

Good luck ed

Had the same issue with the rh frt wheel cover on my '66 Newport 14x5.5" factory wheels. I tried everything I could think of. Bent the tabs on the wheel covers to have a better contact with the nubs on the wheel. After nothing worked . . . Ended up taking the valve stem extension off and repositioning the wheel cover hole away from the valve stem. No more issues after that!

Just one of those things,
CBODY67

My '68 had the same problem, tried everything I could think of until 1975 when I solved the problem permanently, road wheels!

6768moparmagnum500.jpg

Thank you guys for the helpful tips. All 4 of my rims came from Murray Park so possibly one this one could be a little different. I will put the spare wheel on and see if that works better. Also I may try a metal stem as that could be a solution but I want to be sure I can find ones that fit correctly. I always loved the road wheels too but not in the budget now. I appreciate all the help.
John

Thank you guys for the helpful tips. All 4 of my rims came from Murray Park so possibly one this one could be a little different. I will put the spare wheel on and see if that works better. Also I may try a metal stem as that could be a solution but I want to be sure I can find ones that fit correctly. I always loved the road wheels too but not in the budget now. I appreciate all the help.
John

My '67 had all the hi po stuff, 440 super commando, disc brakes, cop tires, cop suspension, all that stuff. Those wheel covers would come off while driving in addition to spinning. My experience with that car and an '80 Mirada led me to believe the root problem was wheel flexing. I solved the '67's problems with a set of mid to late '80's cop car wheels, no more spinning and no more chasing wheel covers down the street. My guess is those were better wheels.

Valve stems, now think of the force it takes to remove or reinstall a wheel cover, consider the forces involved in getting the thing to spin, pretty impressive. Steel valve stems are mounted in two rubber washers for sealing. By using the stem as a stop you're transmitting those forces to the stem. IMHO, that stem is going to deflect to the limit of those rubber washers, mebbe they'll leak, mebbe later or you may get lucky and be fine. I never tried it because I was concerned more about potential valve stem leaks than the hubcap annoyance.

Sorry to be a wet blanket but after 50 years I still don't have a good cheap solution, other than running without them.

FWIW, my '69 has the optional (very heavy) hubcaps, never an issue with that car.

Back