67 Fury power brake "filter" and push rod?

W4UWC

Reaction score
1967 Fury 4 wheel power drums.

I'm replacing the mater cylinder and the service manual shows a filter sandwiched in the piece that goes between the MC and booster. I can't find replacement sold so is it critical? Or DIY some foam into a makeshift filter?

The MC came with a boot for the push rod. It also has a rubber bushing/gasket that I didn't see come off the MC I removed. The instructions make no mention of it. Any idea if it's even used on my 1967? See pic with red circle. It's diameter doesn't fit over the push rod.

Thanks!

20200620_142714.jpg

20200620_143448.jpg

The rubber bushing fits in the bore of the MC but if it's in there the push rod can't seat all the way in. It's probably for another application but I want to be ask first before reassembly.

20200620_175939.jpg

The rubber bushing fits in the bore of the MC but if it's in there the push rod can't seat all the way in. It's probably for another application but I want to be ask first before reassembly.

Bellows and the bushing are not used with power brakes. The booster operating rod is held in place by the taper in the MC piston. The existing spacer off your unit looks like you should be able to reuse it.

Dave

Dave. Thanks. That's what I thought although the rod had a boot on it which I suppose wasn't hurting anything

As for the filter. The manual shows this. I'm missing the filter so what am I risking by leaving it out? I suppose the old one crumbled away after 50 years.

Dave. Thanks. That's what I thought although the rod had a boot on it which I suppose wasn't hurting anything

As for the filter. The manual shows this. I'm missing the filter so what am I risking by leaving it out? I suppose the old one crumbled away after 50 years.

15926966413531648565671666193052.jpg

You could probably cut one out of something that will work as a filter like a piece of the white foam material, it probably will work for that so long as it can breathe. The filter was there to keep dust out of the booster in dirty climate conditions, if you are mostly on concrete roads, dirt getting into the booster will probably not be much of an issue. There is a bellows on the back of the power brake unit where the pedal hooks to it, but is is larger than the one that came with the MC.

Dave

Seems like the filter on my '66, '67, and '70 are more like a fabric "hogs hair" material? Dense enough to keep large dust particles out, but thin enough to not offer any restriction as the bellow in the booster itself moves during apply and non-apply brake times.

Possibly either the foam wrapper for a lawn mower paper air filter or a slice of the air cleaner foam from a push mower's engine (typical Briggs-Stratton) might work and not cost much? Anything to deflect dust/wetness from getting into the booster housing, easily.

Those particular filter assys were used for many years, so might be salvage yard items, if desired. IF you find a used one, just shoot some brake cleaner on it to clean it up a bit, then install.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Seems like the filter on my '66, '67, and '70 are more like a fabric "hogs hair" material? Dense enough to keep large dust particles out, but thin enough to not offer any restriction as the bellow in the booster itself moves during apply and non-apply brake times.

Possibly either the foam wrapper for a lawn mower paper air filter or a slice of the air cleaner foam from a push mower's engine (typical Briggs-Stratton) might work and not cost much? Anything to deflect dust/wetness from getting into the booster housing, easily.

Those particular filter assys were used for many years, so might be salvage yard items, if desired. IF you find a used one, just shoot some brake cleaner on it to clean it up a bit, then install.

Enjoy!
CBODY67
Thanks for the help. Your comments verified what I was thinking so I appreciate it. I think I can fab a filter to "catch the big particles".

Here is my filter aka chainsaw air filter. It does exert much outward force but I needed the vice grips to keep the plastic part down for the picture. No problem once installed in the car

20200622_181001.jpg

Back