67 FURY RACK & PINION STEERING

BUBBAZ488

Reaction score
HAS ANYBODY CONVERTED A C BODY TO A FRONT STEER RACK & PINION STEERING?

I have the stub out and was looking at this option also, almost have the rear sections of the stub repaired where the PO dented the rail with a jack or something more tragic happened. Once that is complete I can get to the other end and do some measuring and see if it's feasible, I am curious to see if the sway bar and strut rods will be in the way. I think flipping the spindle side to side won't create much of an issue.

As long as you can keep the travel of the suspension, and put the end of the rack relatively close to the same location in space that the center link is but on the opposite side of the k-frame it should work, and would help with header clearance, and if you gained some camber in the process that wouldn't be so bad either.

What does Rack & Pinion Steering have to do with IRS?
It's an entire "slider kit" .
Remove old stub frame.
Install a new stub frame fabricated by Fatman.
The Fatman front end consists of a modern Independent Front Suspension with Rack & Pinion steering.

I just don't know if he's ever done a C-body.

prd_lg_754.jpg

He was doing this years before Alterkation started doing them for A-bodies.

Last edited:
It's an entire "slider kit" .
Remove old stub frame.
Install a new stub frame fabricated by Fatman.
The Fatman front end consists of a modern Independent Front Suspension with Rack & Pinion steering.

I just don't know if he's ever done a C-body.

prd_lg_754.jpg

He was doing this years before Alterkation started doing them for A-bodies.
That's a lot of work and $$ to give up my torsion bars... which I love.

I can't see a reason to do it unless you are trying to lighten up for race purposes or just want to hang with the cool kids at the F and C shows. Maybe if there was no parts left to fix yours...

That's a lot of work and $$ to give up my torsion bars... which I love.

I can't see a reason to do it unless you are trying to lighten up for race purposes or just want to hang with the cool kids at the F and C shows. Maybe if there was no parts left to fix yours...
I totally agree 101%.
Yes, why bother.
Rebuilding the front end would be far superior .
Too many people read Hot Rod Magazine.
Way too many. Like in 90% of them.

Removing the torsion bars is not on my to do list, trying to get better, less expensive steering is. My steering box is shot, and the rest of the steering needs replaced anyway. Getting a rack that will fit and do the job shouldn't be a problem, keeping it from interfering with everything else may be. And if you want power steering you can do an electric setup.

I think flipping the spindle side to side won't create much of an issue.

I don't think you want to do that. IIRC, the spindle has some offset or angle in the upper ball joint for caster.

What you should be able to do is swap the lower ball joints and that would put the steering arms in front. I have no idea how this all affects the Ackerman geometry though. That is something you will need to figure out.

Latest Hot rod garage show has lots of talk of front suspension modifications.

I totally agree 101%.
Yes, why bother.
Rebuilding the front end would be far superior .
Too many people read Hot Rod Magazine.
Way too many. Like in 90% of them.

heh i've been toying with the idea of making carbon fiber body panals... but thankfully that's just a pipe dream and i don't have that kind of money

"IIRC, the spindle has some offset or angle in the upper ball joint for caster." I haven't looked at the top ball joint mount, so yes it may have been machined to keep the joint from binding?

Ackerman steer may be affected, I would be more worried about bump (or jounce) steer being affected. Here is a good explanation by Geoff Pearson (Big Bird) to the affects of the Ackerman front vs rear steer
front steering or rear steering

Back