"67 Fury signal light problems

John Reddie

Reaction score
One of my '67 Fury's has a weird problem with the directional lights. The left side works okay but the right side is acting up. If I turn the signal on for a right turn, the right side lights blink as they should but if I step on the brake the right side tail lights and the right front parking light just stays on steady and fender indicator light stays on steady too. When I am driving and step on the brake pedal with the signal off, the right fender indicator and that side parking light comes on steady too.
I seem to recall that years ago, my other '67 Fury had some weird problem with one of the brake lights that went out when I put the signal on and the trouble was in the switch on the steering column. Could that be at fault here as well? Any help provided will be really appreciated. Thank you and stay safe.
John

Likely bad ground back feeding through the circuit. Take a test wire wit alligator clips and attach one end to the metal tail light socket and the other to a good ground in your trunk or bumper bracket. These are all grounded just through contact with the surrounding sheet metal. Any paint or corrosion will cause silly issues. Also sometimes a bad bulb will do weird things, but start with checking the ground.

Process of elimination...
Body is ground and when you have a bad ground the electricity will take the least resistance route.
Clean the sockets change the bulbs and if you have to use jumper wires for grounding the sockets.
Ok? Normal? Then bad ground.
Not ok? Time to dig deeper..
Check the tail light harness for any broken or chafing. Especially for the lights in trunk lid (if you have a F3 SF or VIP)
Up front check ground for the park lamp.
Eventually you may end up testing input and output of the turn signal switch---this can be done without pulling the steering wheel.
But I will tell you how if you need to go there!! lol!!

The the steering column switch can also do screwy things. But check the ground first.

The brake ('stop", not "running lights") lights go through the turn signal switch.

Thank you for the responses. I will perform the tests listed.
John

I wanted to post this update on my light problem.
The signals/brake lights are now working properly. Here's what happened.
When I took the car for its inspection in November, the inspector guy told me that the hazard flasher lights aren't working and most likely needed a new flasher. They have never worked since I got the car and truthfully, I never thought much about them. I discovered that there was no flasher plugged into the connector so I bought one but after installing it they still don't work so I unplugged the flasher and put it away.
This afternoon I found out that I inadvertently left the flasher switch on and apparently(senior moment), that was causing all this trouble because after turning the switch off everything is back to normal now. The only thing that I can't figure out is why this would have occurred when no hazard light flasher is plugged in. The hazard light system is factory installed and came with the car when new. I want to address the hazard light situation but for now I am most pleased that I again have properly working brake and signal light. Thanks again for the info and help.
John

Despite the flasher was missing, there was still power going in and out of the hazard flasher switch.
So when you hit the brake it still overides the hazard flasher even with an open circuit causing funky **** to happen

Back