67 Fury Wagon tailgate removal

mag162

Reaction score
I have to bring it to a buddies Auto body shop to have a little work done to it.
Where do I begin.

A factory service manual is your friend here. I would suggest you download one if you don't have it.

Found in Group 23.

The rear bumper is removed for this procedure, because the tailgate has to open downwards beyond what would be its normal range to remove it from the opening.

Open the tailgate and remove all the interior panelling on the tailgate.

Is it a manual rear window or power? If it's a power rear window, then if you can reach the safety limit switch on the left side of the tailgate, disconnect the two wires going to it. Or, with the gate open but in a near vertical position, squeeze the driver side latch striker plate on the body closed to bypass the glass safety switch (prevents the glass from being raised when the t-gate is open), and carefully raise the glass with the key only about 3/4 of the way up. Be very careful about closing the gate with the glass up, or allowing the gate to lie flat without supporting the extended glass. If you over extend the glass, it can mess up the tracks and guides in the tracks, and be difficult to retract. Note that the key will still retract the glass without bypassing the safety switch, but you'll not be able to raise the glass.

Non power, just use the crank of course!

Once the glass is retracted, lie the gate open with sawhorses supporting the gate body.

With all the interior panelling removed, you should be able to access the nuts and bolts securing the hinges to the tail gate if required, but I believe most can be accessed from the outside.

The following is from the FSM:

1) Remove the bumper
2) Remove the check arm and torsion bar guide plate from the pillar guide plates
3) Support the tail gate on jacks or stands.
4) Loosen the hinge pivot pin locking screws
5) Scribe the outline of the hinge plate position on the pillar post for reassembly
6) Remove the hinge plate attaching bolts from the pillar post
7) Slide the hinge plate and torsion bar INWARDS through the guide towards centre of tailgate
8) Lower the tailgate down and out of body opening

Back