67 Monaco brake booster

BigCah

Reaction score
2A91C43B-B662-4D5E-9C68-8E3EA74DF658.jpeg
Hey guys, new member here but have been following along for years. Was wondering if power break booster’s are available for 67 dodge Monaco. I do have a used one I am going to try. Can’t seem to find a new or rebuilt one?Just put in all new lines cylinders shoes etc.And my old time mechanic says brakes aren’t working.

Thanks for the reply, got one out of my old parts car and a new master cylinder. Bringing it down to the mechanic now. I’ll keep it in mind if we hit a dead end.Good to know that they can be rebuilt

BigCah,
Of course, if you just went with the Chineseum garbage of today -- then you did not get, of course, N.O.S. ++ Asbestos ++ brake shoes -- which is the only nicest softest smoooooothest braking surface that WILL STOP a real car..... So that, of course, is # 1 problem....
What is not working can be remedied by a quality mechanic .... So that, of course, if it CAN NOT be
"Figured Out", that can be # 2 problem....

Last edited by a moderator:
theirs are remanufactured chrysler parts...no one makes them other than centric and its not even correct.

With a Cardon't booster, you are only going to get lucky about one time in three. It either won't work or it will be the wrong booster.

Dave

So it turns out the booster from parts car is bad. No surprise. The parts car was sitting outside for 30 years. Got the full story from mechanic and turns out he never put on the new master cylinder. We will put on the new(correct) master on the orig vac booster still in it and hope that may just be the issue. I think the previous owner put on an incorrect replacement master and it failed on a bad way. (I’ll post a picture of front end damage) Hard to believe that the power booster is bad with only 32,000 original miles and always garaged. (Of course I know it’s 53 years young and nothing lasts forever) I’ve owned several c bodies and have never had an issue with a vac booster.. guess I’ve been just real lucky till now.

So it turns out the booster from parts car is bad. No surprise. The parts car was sitting outside for 30 years. Got the full story from mechanic and turns out he never put on the new master cylinder. We will put on the new(correct) master on the orig vac booster still in it and hope that may just be the issue. I think the previous owner put on an incorrect replacement master and it failed on a bad way. (I’ll post a picture of front end damage) Hard to believe that the power booster is bad with only 32,000 original miles and always garaged. (Of course I know it’s 53 years young and nothing lasts forever) I’ve owned several c bodies and have never had an issue with a vac booster.. guess I’ve been just real lucky till now.
can you post a picture of your booster?

Boosters can fail quickly with a leaking master cylinder, brake fluid gets inside the booster and the rubber goes to heck, cracks and leaks.

Dave

do you think running DOT5 silicone type would prevent that? I use that in my bikes..

I run DOT 5 in most of mine, all components last longer. Important though to start with everything fresh as brake hoses and other soft parts retain enough conventional brake fluid to cause problems. If replacing wheel cylinders, hoses and/or calipers, that is a great time to convert to DOT 5

Dave

Back