67 New yorker not starting

peterlucas

Reaction score
67 new yorker with 440 in it, put a new Tuff stuff mini starter in it bout a month or so ago and has worked mint since, i havent driven much at all lately as its getting paneled and painted, the battery went flat and i had it fully charged , the car hasnt been started in a couple of weeks, put the full battery in yesterday and it wont start, i can hear a click at the starter relay when i turn the ignition and thats it, its an auto and i had a brand new starter relay here for a manual (it just doesnt have the nuetral safety pole on it) and same thing just a click at the starter,ive checked most other things i can think of and no wiring or anything has changed since it last started perfectly, has just sat for a few weeks, any suggestions?

I don't think the issue was at the starter relay. This may sound silly but make absolutely sure the lug is on the pos batt post is on there nice and tight (you cannot twist or move it) (and neg too). I've had other cars where I thought the worst when they would not start and all it took was tightening completely down on the pos lug. First thing I check.....process of elimination.

I don't think the issue was at the starter relay. This may sound silly but make absolutely sure the lug is on the pos batt post is on there nice and tight (you cannot twist or move it) (and neg too). I've had other cars where I thought the worst when they would not start and all it took was tightening completely down on the pos lug. First thing I check.....process of elimination.
Also check the small wire on the starter if it is loose or ?????? it will not turn over.

Also check the small wire on the starter if it is loose or ?????? it will not turn over.
Yup...good call. That'll leave you stranded too. Make sure its on nice and tight. I have a tuff stuff mini starter also....have had it for a couple months now and I love it. I wrapped heat shielding around it for extra protection since it sits very close to the exhaust header on my car. Flips over with no effort at all, hot or cold.

Take a long screwdriver & hold it by the fiberglass handle then with the key in the run position, touch both posts of the solenoid with the screwdriver. Kinda wedge it in between the two posts so it makes very firm contact with them.

It sounds like your check did not use a multimeter. You can't see electricity without one, and they are free at Harbor Freight. Measure the voltage difference from the case of the starter to the biggest electrical stud while you are trying to crank. If <8 V, the battery and wiring aren't doing their job. Start measuring to find the big voltage drop. It is usually across the BATT+ connector, which is why battery brushes and anti-corrosion spray are sold everywhere. Could also be a bad connection from starter to tranny or tranny to BATT- via the engine block. Only other thing is the starter relay and cables.

Back