67 New Yorker Power Window Removal and Re-install

Patrick

Reaction score
I'm a noob to C-bodies so it might be a little presumptuous to do a tutorial but I didn't find anything that matched my 67 New Yorker for power window re and re. So here it is:

First, remove the door panels. It's simple enough but don't forget to remove the screws from the arm rest and pull strap. Then carefully pull the cards off. There are tools that help but I just went around the panel slowly and carefully. It is easy to break the old clips so your mileage may vary.

20150401_174223.jpg

20150401_174235.jpg

Lower the window all the way. Once down remove the bolts holding the motor and regulator. There are 6 in all:

20150402_192713.jpg

Support the regulator because it will fall. At the bottom of the glass is an adjustable support/stop with two bolts. Remove that. Now push the regulator assembly towards the front of the glass until you can remove the rollers from the tracks attaching it to the glass. You may have to move the motor assembly up and down a bit to get the arms far enough forward to pop out. Once done push/pull the glass up and support it in place or, preferably, remove it. There are two stops at the top:

20150401_174930.jpg

20150401_174937.jpg

Remove the bolts and the stop then pull the glass out.

You will then need to loosen the front track bolts to allow the motor and regulator to be removed. The better idea would be to remove both the front and rear tracks for cleaning and lubrication.

Note!! - Do not remove the motor from the assembly until you have used a clamp or a vice or something to immobilize the arms against the mounting plate. If you do not the large spring will unwind and turn the arms into a tomahawk. See other threads like this one for ideas on how to immobilize it rebuild the motor.

Re-installing is easy enough. Place the regulator/motor assembly in the door and mount the two front end bolts to hold it in place. Then re-install the tracks. Re-install the glass. The rollers in the frame of the glass should be in and mounted on the tracks as you install the glass. Lower the glass to the bottom.

Now for the tricky part. The arms of the regulator need to be inserted into the tracks in the glass. This is not possible with the regulator bolts in so you're going to have to pull. them. But! you need to support the regulator so it doesn't fall:

20150402_154142.jpg

Now the regulator is free to move around. You need to wiggle it until the two arms' rollers are in the the channels on the window. Pull it to the back of the door. The arm that goes to the front of the window has another roller at the other end that fits in the channel mounted above the big opening. Put the roller in and mount the bracket. I hope you have the electrical connection to the motor in at this point, if not, get that connected. Now, slowly and carefully use the window switch to move the assembly up, and manually move it front to back, until one of the mounting holes lines up. Bolt it in place and then manipulate it again until another lines up. Once two bolts are in the rest should be easy to install.

Now re-install the stops at the top and bottom, run the window up, check it gently against the door (don't just run it up and slam it, the window might be too high and that would be very bad) and adjust the stops to make a perfect fit. Do the same at the bottom with the bottom stop.

You're done.

20150402_192713.jpg

20150402_154142.jpg

20150401_174223.jpg

20150401_174235.jpg

20150401_174235.jpg

20150401_174235.jpg

20150401_174930.jpg

20150401_174937.jpg

Last edited:
Back