67 Polara 318 info wanted

69CoronetRT

Reaction score
I'm doing a little research on the '67 Polara 318 cars.

This is not the same as a Polara that happens to have a 318 motor.

From what we can tell, we think they were a different 'sub model' and carried a VIN designation of PE41.

They are listed and treated as a separate model in the data books. http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1967/67_Polara0005.jpg

They appear to have a different interior than the regular PL vinned Polara. http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/colorAndTrim/1967/67_Polara_0001.jpg

We think they may have been built at the Windsor plant, and may have come with Canada built poly 318s. http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/TSBs/1967/D67-9-8.jpg

Is anyone familiar with the '67 Polara 318 cars?

I'm not sure about the specifics of the 67 Polara. But the 318 poly engine was carried through the Canadian built Chrysler car line for 1967, although American built cars made the change to the LA 318 in 66.
If a Canadian built 1967 was ordered with a 318 it came with the poly version.

I'm not sure about the specifics of the 67 Polara. But the 318 poly engine was carried through the Canadian built Chrysler car line for 1967, although American built cars made the change to the LA 318 in 66.
If a Canadian built 1967 was ordered with a 318 it came with the poly version.

Will, that's part of the interest.
The TSB clearly shows that the poly 318 was installed in some '67 American sold Coronets and Polaras.

The white books do not list the PE41 car production numbers.

so the questions are:

Were the PE41 Polaras built only at the Windsor plant?
If that is true, were they counted as cars built for sale in Canada and not the US which is why they do not show up in production numbers of US built cars?
If they were only built at the Windsor plant and the poly was installed in Canada built cars, did some or all of the PE41 cars come with the poly engine?

Will, that's part of the interest.
The TSB clearly shows that the poly 318 was installed in some '67 American sold Coronets and Polaras.

The white books do not list the PE41 car production numbers.

so the questions are:

Were the PE41 Polaras built only at the Windsor plant?
If that is true, were they counted as cars built for sale in Canada and not the US which is why they do not show up in production numbers of US built cars?
If they were only built at the Windsor plant and the poly was installed in Canada built cars, did some or all of the PE41 cars come with the poly engine?

I believe all the Canadian built 1967 products with a 318 were built with the poly engine, including trucks. Most likely were counted in Canadian production although some made it to the American sales bank.
This would mean all 318 PE41 cars would be equipped with a poly 318.

This would mean all 318 PE41 cars would be equipped with a poly 318.

That's one thing we are trying to determine.

The TSB states 'a limited number... of Polara 318...'.

So we have, another, reference to a Polara 318 car but the TSB is written in a way that could lead one to believe that the either the poly 318 or the LA 318 came in the model.

We only have one example of a PE41 on file. I'm hoping we can find more examples to see if they were built only at the Windsor plant or if they were built at other plants.

That's one thing we are trying to determine.

The TSB states 'a limited number... of Polara 318...'.
QUOTE]

The data books were published, usually, pre production and are not reliable of a barometer taking into consideration, "in production changes".
The bulletin is dated march 1967 which leaves a 4-5 month window for a change.

Could be that with the phasing out of the poly engine, the supply was running short and the possibility of a "LA" 318 would become more of a reality.
Perhaps locating Canadian built 318 cars with a build date from late March to end of 67 production would shed some light.

Found this reference in The Dodge Story

67_pOLARA_318.jpg

In 67 my Dad's Polara 2 door ht came with a standard for Canada /6. He bought it new in the fall of 67 in Hamilton ON.
A /6 Polara 2 dr! That has to be very rare!
I'm always open to someone showing me a U.S. Polara /6, Fred.
Anyone?

A /6 Polara 2 dr! That has to be very rare!
I'm always open to someone showing me a U.S. Polara /6, Fred.
Anyone?

I had one that I bought at an auction here in Arizona. Imagine my surprise when I pooped the hood expecting to see a 383 and finding that slanty in that cavernous engine bay. It was a Canadian car.

You pooped the hood???

One Piece of Information found on this model in the Standard Catalog of American Cars 1946-75 is the Statement under note1 in Production totals that says "In figures rounded off to the nearest 100 Units (......) a total of 5600 Polara 318 (....)passenger cars were built during model year 1967"

Last edited:
Back