'67 VIP Rear Brake Drums

moparjenny

Reaction score
Hi, guys! So, the rear brakes are pretty much nonexistent at the moment in my '67 VIP. I had bought some replacement drums because the shop said it needs them, but they apparently fit over the brake drums that are on there now. They're thinking I need 10-inch drums (had ordered 11s). However, I cannot seem to find any anywhere. Does anyone have any ideas where I may be able to find some? Thanks!

Belvedere's ran 10"x2.5" drums I believe. If that measurement matches you might be able to source them that way. Rockauto will have them.

I have a variety of drums if you know what size you need, both diameter and width.

67 Furys with standard (i.e. non-heavy duty brakes) used 11 x 2" rear brakes. They are NOT or at least should not be 10" drums. Buy 11 x 2 rear drums for a 71 Fury and wheel cylinders for an 11" rear drum (I believe that they are different for front disc vs. front drum brakes in bore size). They will be the finned style so they will look different but they will also cool down quicker. Raybestos #2955R

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...383cid+v8,1232682,brake+&+wheel+hub,drum,1744

Hello Jenny. This is Scott, the guy from Facebook who recommended this site to you. Welcome, and good luck!

They're thinking I need 10-inch drums
Jenny, if the shop you are dealing with can't even measure the drums for you... please find another shop ASAP. There are lots of good folks in here who can help you find the parts you need, but if obsolete, it may take a minute.
:welcome:

I have a complete 11x2.5" brake setup for the rear. It includes the backing plates, good used drums. You'll need to buy shoes, and wheel cylinders, and a hardware kit. I also have a good used pair of 11x2" rear drums. [email protected]

Jenny, if the shop you are dealing with can't even measure the drums for you... please find another shop ASAP. There are lots of good folks in here who can help you find the parts you need, but if obsolete, it may take a minute.
:welcome:
True. I have no idea why they didn't measure them in the first place. I just gave them a call, and they sounded slightly annoyed (they get pretty busy on Saturdays). But they said they'd try to make time to measure them for me. We shall see.

True. I have no idea why they didn't measure them in the first place. I just gave them a call, and they sounded slightly annoyed (they get pretty busy on Saturdays). But they said they'd try to make time to measure them for me. We shall see.
As someone from the repair industry... they suck. There are relatively cheap measuring tools they should have used to condemn the old drums in the first place.
KDT-3377.jpg
They would need to measure to machine the old drums, and the tool pictured would have been used to quickly reset the adjustment of the shoes as well.

I understand many shops and techs don't want to work on old cars, as their bread and butter is the newer stuff that comes in every day. BUT, if they do accept the job, they should give it all the due diligence it deserves to be done right... I hope they gave that original brake inspection for free, because they certainly didn't try to earn their pay.

My reasoning, they would need the drum size to find the parts... the diameter of the drum is actually impressioned on the drum (so 10" vs 11" is ridiculous)... once they determined they couldn't locate the drum, they should have documented the information on your repair order. 2" vs 2 1/2" is a simple ruler or tape measurement, and would have come up in an honest attempt to find your parts.

Jenny, you didn't mention if the drums in question are for the front or rear...
67 Furys with standard (i.e. non-heavy duty brakes) used 11 x 2" rear brakes. They are NOT or at least should not be 10" drums. Buy 11 x 2 rear drums for a 71 Fury and wheel cylinders for an 11" rear drum (I believe that they are different for front disc vs. front drum brakes in bore size). They will be the finned style so they will look different but they will also cool down quicker. Raybestos #2955R

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...383cid+v8,1232682,brake+&+wheel+hub,drum,1744
Here's a good guy who has had similar cars to yours... I'd check out what he tells you.

No offense or preference over the other members who have offered used parts... they are doing you a service as well.

I understand many shops and techs don't want to work on old cars, as their bread and butter is the newer stuff that comes in every day. BUT, if they do accept the job, they should give it all the due diligence it deserves to be done right... I hope they gave that original brake inspection for free, because they certainly didn't try to earn their pay.

I totally agree. Honestly, if the brakes weren't as bad as they are now, I would've moved her to another shop. As it is, driving her is "oh crap, are we going to stop?!" It's not a drive I'm completely comfortable with. :/ I'm not impressed with this shop at all.

The drums are for the rear. :)

Unbelievable what passes for a repair shop these days. I would find a new shop, no amount of "discussion" with those idiots will resolve anything.
If it has been changed to 10" drums in the rear that is not stock. Parts stores will not be able to "look up" your needed parts.
If this is the case you are at a crossroads, back to original, or leave non-stock smaller brakes.
The 10"x2.5" are not horrible if you are staying with 14" wheels
15" or larger wheels you need to get back to larger drums.

Last edited:
Unbelievable what passes for a repair shop these days. I would find a new shop, no amount of "discussion" with those idiots will resolve anything.
If it has been changed to 10" drums in the rear that is not stock. Parts stores will not be able to "look up" your needed parts.
If this is the case you are at a crossroads, back to original, or leave non-stock smaller brakes.
The 10"x2.5" are not horrible if you are staying with 14" wheels
15" or larger wheels you need to get back to larger drums.
Not having a proper parts book or FSM for the car, Oreallys shows a 10x2 1/2 shoe option...
https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/brake-systems-16456/brake-pads-shoes-16515/a349129f45da/1967/plymouth/vip?fitAttr_10080=Show All&fitAttr_10039=Rear
No love for the drums...

I only used them for reference... AZ shows 11" drums... ingeniously marketed in mm instead of inches :realcrazy:

I'd rather have the bigger set up regardless... but IDK that I would fool around right now when all she needs is the ability to move the car.

Not having a proper parts book or FSM for the car, Oreallys shows a 10x2 1/2 shoe option...
https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/brake-systems-16456/brake-pads-shoes-16515/a349129f45da/1967/plymouth/vip?fitAttr_10080=Show All&fitAttr_10039=Rear
No love for the drums...

I only used them for reference... AZ shows 11" drums... ingeniously marketed in mm instead of inches :realcrazy:

I'd rather have the bigger set up regardless... but IDK that I would fool around right now when all she needs is the ability to move the car.
Wonder if with disc in front on a lower line car caused 10×2.5 in the rear.

Unbelievable what passes for a repair shop these days. .....

THIS is EXACTLY WHY I OWN A 1966 MOPAR C BODY!!! We wanted something WELL MADE and EASY TO WORK ON FOR OURSELVES! :D

God bless Willem Weertman, the most understated TRUE mechanical genius Detroit ever had. He designed engines that were done right THE FIRST TIME and are the most elegant, simple machines I've been privileged to own, the B/RB block motors, then the LA, and finally the V-10 evolved FROM the LA blocks. There was an excellent V-6 also cut down from the LA, but I love the B/RBs above all others for their Poor Man's Hotrod merits. Nothing better ever has been done for impoverished folk who can read directions (well written too!) follow them and wield a wrench. From my first car, 40+ yrs ago, I realized that MOST mechanical shops were crooked. Many are malicious. Now, more even than the 1970s, they're just ABYSMALLY INCOMPETENT!

So I'll stick with my B/RB powered mid 1960s MoPars to my dying day. ONLY when pressed for time or resources beyond my budget will I resort to hiring another hand to touch my precious functioning artifact and memento to a Better Era.

It's been a while, so I figured I'd pop in and give an update.

I said "screw it" to that shop, finally, on Friday morning and had it towed to another local shop. By the afternoon, they had already started the search for drums (I still don't know which size it needs, which is one reason why I was hesitant to purchase more drums to "keep guessing" -- that other shop never measured them, but I figure this shop did).

Well, they just called me. They were able to find some drums from one of their resources that would've been the right size, but they were like $260 each! So they passed on them. They were able to figure out how to machine the one drum that was apparently in really bad shape (they did both, of course), found some missing hardware (e-brake! even though the other place says they never took it off, but it was completely missing), bled the brakes, and noticed a rusty line right under the master cylinder. They're going to replace that section of line, and she'll be done sometime in the morning. All for less than what that other place originally quoted me.

So, she'll be home tomorrow!

Oh, by the way, I had gotten 10-inch drums to try, and they were "too small -- need 11s." So that's why I gave up on trying -- because that shop wanted me to just "keep guessing."

Well, they just called me. They were able to find some drums from one of their resources that would've been the right size, but they were like $260 each! So they passed on them.
I had a '62 New Yorker for some 8 years. It's brakes were in bad shape when I got the car. The drums were heavily "valleyed" from someone leaving old shoes on too long and the rivets plowed away! Needless to say they were beyond turning. (I had a heck of a time getting them off!!!)

I did a search and found a set of NOS drums at Any Birnbaum's in New York - or Jersey, wherever he is/was. A man I knew who owned a 300H had the rears which he gave me for a great price - free!! However, those fronts were going to be $350 plus shipping! I seriously balked! But, having found them no where else, I bought them. Worked great.

Less than 6 months after that, Kanter stated offering them for $90 each, and they still do! Crap!!!

When I first saw your request on Facebook I checked their site - no go. Boo!

But they still have them for a '62 New Yorker!!!

Back