68 318 oil pump

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals I need a little info on replacing oil pump on 1968 Plymouth fury iii 318 what all do I need to do and take off suspension wise or not etc do I need a cherry picker or jack any info would be great

OK, I'll ask... Why do you think you need to change the pump?

You'll need to drop the center link and oil pan. But how are you going to do that if you don't have a jack?

OK, I'll ask... Why do you think you need to change the pump?

You'll need to drop the center link and oil pan. But how are you going to do that if you don't have a jack?
For the piece of mind knowing I have a new one I do have a jack and cherry picker and stands I just never have had to one on a 318 and in the car

For the piece of mind knowing I have a new one I do have a jack and cherry picker and stands I just never have had to one on a 318 and in the car
Sorry, thought you meant you didn't have a jack.

IMHO, I'd rethink that. Oil pumps don't just go bad. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Sorry, thought you meant you didn't have a jack.

IMHO, I'd rethink that. Oil pumps don't just go bad. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
It’s ok I just wanted to know I had a new one and oil pan gasket as well and rear main possible I have had the car for almost a year I haven’t drove it much bc I like to have new stuff I don’t trust other people you know it probably has blue billion miles on it also had great oil pressure when I was driving it

Last edited:
sounds like you are looking to fin problems before they happen. Not entirely bad. How about the timing chain?

Don’t use a high volume pump. Not necessary.

We changed timing chain double roller chain last winter no even 10 miles on it I have a melling pump to go back on it I guess I’ll just change oil and drive it and worst comes to worst I can pull motor and rebuild I plan on keeping the car

It's a lot of work.
But: if you remove center link, y-pipe if single exhaust, and remove oil pan, oil pump is can be replaced.
20181031_150239.jpg

On 1972 Fury 360 SB, I used cherry picker at front of engine and unbolted engine mounts at subframe to remove oil pan.
20181031_164943.jpg

I found the effort was worth it just to get all the junk out of the pickup
20181104_153317.jpg

20181104_153424.jpg

20181104_145908.jpg

If your oil pressure is low or you found broken pieces of valve seals when you replaced the valve cover gasket, the job may be worth doing.
20181108_203119.jpg

If you found that there were teeth missing from the timing sprocket, or other things that may be possibly plugging the screen, or leaking main seal or pan gasket, I’d say go right ahead and do it. BUT, if there aren’t any significant leaks, none of the other things are an issue, and it runs good with good oil pressure, there’s no need to change the pump. Oil pumps aren’t like electric fuel pumps, they don’t need replacement for piece of mind. I’d be willing to bet an oil pump could outlast a couple 3 engines
Travis..

Back