'68 Carter BBD rebuild

Mr onetwo

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I thought I would post up some photos of my rebuild. We finally got my car running for 15 minutes Friday off a bottle, but it would not stay idling by itself. I found that the carb was barely attached to the manifold due to the studs being too short.It also was filthy. I was lucky to find a refresh kit a parts store 30 miles away, so away I went. It was a Standard 1565B kit. I will put it on the car this afternoon and we will see how much difference this makes.

DSCN1207.jpg

DSCN1236.jpg

DSCN1217.jpg

DSCN1213.jpg

DSCN1219.jpg

DSCN1226.jpg

Last edited:
A couple of weird things....the idle screws have no springs under them and the "step up piston assembly" had no gaskets on it at all. It is supposed to have a fiber gasket down in the base of the bore and a rubber 1 at the top of the piston. The directions and FSM are somewhat vague. I found some springs at the hardware store. Should I use a gasket on top of the thick spacer supplied with the kit?

DSCN1235 (2).jpg

There is usually no gaskest or seals on the power piston, should fit fairly snug to have a minimal vacuum leak, also should move freely.

I should have taken a photo. I don't mean in the grooves of the piston itself. There is a spring and washer above it where the rubber ring goes. What I have does not look like anything I can find on the internet, yet the kit had the seal. Any opinion on sealing the 1/2" thick spacer?

I have rebuilt the carb on several small blocks and have never used any sealer on the spacer. I have never run into a sealing issue but I have seen lots of baked and brittle spacers that needed replacing due to leaking vacuum.

Success at last! A couple of pumps of the pedal and she roared to life:eek:s_dancing2:! I am so happy that it is finally running! I have to fiddle with the mixture adjustments...it seems to be lean. It gradually dies as it warms up...I had to turn up the idle screw too fast and then it stayed running for 1/2 hour or so. The exhaust crackles when I blip the throttle aggressively, but no smoke or carbon out the tailpipes. I put it up in the air for the night so I can check for leaks after it cools down.2 more qts. of ATF in the morning and I'll take it for a spin...wish me luck!!!

I have a question for any Carter experts that are here. I have a late '68 11/2" Ball&Ball carb that has idle limiters and the single adjustment screw as outlined in the "carburetor service highlights for '68" tech manual. As shown in photo #4 the caps have been removed and the original springs are gone. Does anyone know what the idle limiter adjustment should be? I want to set these correctly, then seal them up and use the single screw to adjust the idle mixture correctly.Thanks in advance!

I'm late but there is a rubber seal that goes down the step up piston well with the spring. its a black rubber flat ring.
Some documents say later model diched the step up piston gasket
Your idle mixture screws are set for max vacuum at idle warmed up

I just finished rebulding my 66 version 4126S and I used the black gasket and the 2 fiber ones under the brass jests

I havent found where the cork gasket goes but I suspect some models with a compensating valve use it.

2021470.jpg2021469.jpg
2021471.jpg

2021463.jpg

2021468.jpg

Back