68 Chrysler HVAC box removal FRUSTRATED

live4theking

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
The title pretty much says it all.

When I was in my 20's I r&red one of these things in 6 hours.

Now I'm taking my time and trying not to break anything and I cannot get it out. One of the things the FSM says to remove is the globe box liner. I cannot get it out. I've tried everything short of tearing it into pieces. Aaron asked me how I got it out before, it tore it in two on me. Honestly I'm surprised how this one has held up to what I've done to it. If it wasn't for this darn thing I'd have the box out.

Anyone have a tip or trick?

I started this to get the AC working, but have since discovered that my heater core must have a very small leak because I've found a few drops.

When I disconnected the driver side defrost tube I got a surprise. A mud dobber nest that must have been blocking the whole duct. After that feel out a set of original keys. I understand why they left them there so long.

Last edited:
Repro glove boxes are readily available and cheap. Maybe confirm that a repro exists for your car and destroy the one that's causing you grief? And as Stan said above, you do have to fold and fuss with the damn things to get them out and back in.

When I removed my AC box, it would not fully "roll out from the top" like the FSM directed. I fought and fought...gently. Eventually I realized that the big wiring harness that goes up the front side of center dash support was preventing the "roll" that would allow the studs to clear the firewall holes (see red areas in pics below) That big, solid harness was firmly held to the dash support by a bendable steel (and coated in insulation plastic) cable tie that is spot-welded to that support. Because of the location, I couldn't bend the steel tabs out of the way to move the harness, so I carefully cut them off with a Dremel. This allowed the harness to moved aside (slightly) and I was able to easily complete the "roll maneuver" and get the box out. We can safely assume that the box went in before the harness was installed when the car was built long ago.

None of this was fun, and I'm not 20 anymore, either!

IMG_1039_LI.jpg

MJVP1695_LI.jpg

And yeah, there's lots of interesting things to be found in the box and ductwork. Once I had everything disassembled and the crud removed, the big components soaked overnight in a bathtub with a serious dose of Clorox added to the water. Now it blows cool, clean air and it was worth the work.

Mouse nest and 50 years of crud:
PVMU9042_LI.jpg

IMG_1057.JPG

Chewing:
IMG_3994.JPG

Good luck!

Last edited:
This is what happened to my New Yorker when I messed with that damn HVAC box.

66 NY mine.JPG

That was 1984, and the car hasn't been on the road since.

Hope you have better luck with yours. :)

Jeff

Yeah, that looks a little frustrating, too....but ohhhh......your poor neighbors! :eek:

For sure, when I rebuilt the box, got it installed, and fully refreshed the R-12 components I was quite thankful I was able to have cold, clean air with no condensate dripping onto the carpet. It's a lot of painstaking work. Hopefully, nobody will ever have to see my silly (and totally hidden by ductwork when installed) "rebuilt by" statement. :rolleyes:

DLDA9193.JPG

The FINAL step was adding this repro Airtemp decal, and was hugely satisfying!
IMG_1361.JPG

View attachment 476696
That was 1984, and the car hasn't been on the road since. Hope you have better luck with yours. :)
Jeff
It won't come to that... the kids would never allow it too.

@Trace 300 Hurst You should've put wrote that only the bravest of should pass beyond this point. :poke:

I see more wrestling in my future this weekend.

If my experience with a 68 Fury, (No A/C), applies. It's a chore but pulling the whole dash first would make it all easier. Saving that, a tip I got on this site was to unbolt the right side fasteners and pull out the dash to help with the glove box, (even if you get a new box liner you'll want to get it in correctly). I ended up using a ratchet strap, around the glove box opening, and anchored to the door latch. I was able to get the box in and out without destroying it. Another thing, taking pictures as you go, to note routing of wiring, cables and/or vac lines, will help with the reinstall.

Hopefully, nobody will ever have to see my silly (and totally hidden by ductwork when installed) "rebuilt by" statement. :rolleyes:

When your first wife signs the wall behind the medicine cabinet you install and then your second wife is standing there when you pull it back out 25 years later....

In the ‘68, Even getting the new one is a *****. If you look closely there should be some perforated seams. (Except they are probably on the back side where you can’t see them. You have to start creasing on those to start collapsing. The issue is the old box is likely a little brittle and May crack. I compare it to putting a ship into a bottle.

If my experience with a 68 Fury, (No A/C), applies. It's a chore but pulling the whole dash first would make it all easier. Saving that, a tip I got on this s7ite was to unbolt the right side fasteners and pull out the dash to help with the glove box, (even if you get a new box liner you'll want to get it in correctly). I ended up using a ratchet strap, around the glove box opening, and anchored to the door latch. I was able to get the box in and out without destroying it. Another thing, taking pictures as you go, to note routing of wiring, cables and/or vac lines, will help with the reinstall.
Well I used this tip and got the glove box liner out. Now the HVAC box is wedged and I can see that a nipple broke off one of the diaphragm. Ugh...I don't understand how one came out so easily and this one is being such a pain.

Last edited:
Well I used this tip and got the glove box liner out. Now the HVAC box is wedged and I can see that a nipple broke off one of the diaphragm. Ugh...I don't understand how one came out so easily and this one is being such a pain.
Patience...patience....deep breath....patience....

Tomorrow night I think I'm going to drop the steering column and loosen up the left side of the dash to see if I can get some more movement out of it. Before it goes back in the front seat and the carpet are coming out. I figure the carpet and pad should give me about 1/2" more clearance.

Well, it's out. I cannot believe that I forgot to disconnect two wires and tore one of them in the process. I'll need to fix that.

Before I attempt to put it back in the front seats and carpet is coming out. I think a little extra clearance and not trying to maneuver it over top of carpet will be much easier.

I'm not taking the box apart until I have all the pieces to put it back together.

Last edited:
That is good news, and hopefully your FRUSTRATION is easing a bit. You won! Going back in, with carpet and seats out and everything tidied up will be a cinch. :thumbsup:

Take lots of pics of the innards of your box. We want to see that what the two cores have filtered out of the air over the last 50+ years. Yuck!

Well, it's out. I cannot believe that I forgot to disconnect two wires and tore one of them in the process. I'll need to fix that.

Before I attempt to put it back in the front seats and carpet is coming out. I think a little extra clearance and not trying to maneuver it over top of carpet will be much easier.

I'm not taking the box apart until I have all the pieces to put it back together.
Good to hear!
Can you post your ‘Roses, buds & thorns’ for those who may be (I will) doing this in the future?

Back