'68 Fury 318 PS high pressure hose replacement

Zaggart

Reaction score
Tracking down one final slow leak that appears to be coming from the PS pressure hose but am running into some weird issues, and apparently I'm one of the few folks with a Federal pump (just replaced, brand new) on a 318. Here's the weirdness:

- The replacement hoses I'm finding are all 33"-36", the original is around 12"-15" (image attached). The hose I picked up that was supposed to work looks pretty goofy with the excess draped up against the wheel well.
- All existing connectors are 5/8 or 16mm including the threaded adapter that goes into the steering gearbox. The gearbox end of the new hose and the new threaded adapter are both 7/16, and the new hose does not fit the old adapter.

Anyone else had this issue that knows what will fit properly?

Fury PS hose.jpg

Fury PS adapter.jpg

You might want to take your original hose to a shop near you that makes hydraulic lines. They will make it the correct length & be able to match the fittings. FWIW the p/s hose on my ‘68 Fury with a 383 rests on the inner fender. Most others I have seen are the same.

Your short PS is from a late 50’s car. That’s not what came on a 1968. They were long and looped around. Plenty of flex.

Last edited:
Interesting.. That's what I was afraid of, thank you both. I've seen some NOS stuff that looks similar but I'll see about getting a different threaded adapter to work instead of worrying about what's there already.

Tracking down one final slow leak that appears to be coming from the PS pressure hose but am running into some weird issues, and apparently I'm one of the few folks with a Federal pump (just replaced, brand new) on a 318. Here's the weirdness:

- The replacement hoses I'm finding are all 33"-36", the original is around 12"-15" (image attached). The hose I picked up that was supposed to work looks pretty goofy with the excess draped up against the wheel well.
- All existing connectors are 5/8 or 16mm including the threaded adapter that goes into the steering gearbox. The gearbox end of the new hose and the new threaded adapter are both 7/16, and the new hose does not fit the old adapter.

Anyone else had this issue that knows what will fit properly?
I don't think this is the correct hose for your car. The angles are wrong and the length is too short.

I don't think this is the correct hose for your car. The angles are wrong and the length is too short.
Yikes well that's not at all what I wanted to learn after all this time, I'm certainly glad I asked! Sounds like I just need a different threaded adapter then and I may be all set. Thanks!

Yikes well that's not at all what I wanted to learn after all this time, I'm certainly glad I asked! Sounds like I just need a different threaded adapter then and I may be all set. Thanks!
There are different size "adaptors" that screw into the steering box. Can't tell you what cars got what.... I had two c-body steering boxes, one from my '70 300 and one from a '68 Fury. The Fury had a smaller fitting on the steering box!.

I know that non-B/RB cars had some different parts on them when compared to the B/RB cars, which could even vary with the "A" and "LA" motors, too. I might suggest looking through the factory service manual for pictures of the engines and such, whcih might also show the power steering lines and similar. www.mymopar.com for the free download.

On all of the 383s I've seen in those years, the hose leaves the pump at about 2:00 angle and heads toward the upper control arm watershield, then curves back around to head to the ps gear hose attachment. There used to be a soft rubber "hose" over the main hose to cushion where it might lay on body parts.

In some cases, the extra length can absorb/decrease harmonics related to the system and how it operates. Which can mean that the shortest distance is not always the best.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

You might want to take your original hose to a shop near you that makes hydraulic lines. They will make it the correct length & be able to match the fittings. FWIW the p/s hose on my ‘68 Fury with a 383 rests on the inner fender. Most others I have seen are the same.
Agree with having a shop make a hose to the correct length. Great idea! I see no reason to have all that extra hose length going up the wheel well.

Agree with having a shop make a hose to the correct length. Great idea! I see no reason to have all that extra hose length going up the wheel well.
The only thing is that the hose in the pic is way too close to the exhaust manifold. You have to have it looped so there's no stress on the fittings and it's below and away from the exhaust manifold (heat rises). That particular hose might be OK if the pump fitting was clocked downward and the box fitting was bent over as I think it once was.

1664239973328.png

An Edelman power steering oil filter?
It's what Auto Zone had after I accidentally ripped the old one apart replacing the return hose. 3x the size, but should be good for 300k right? Or with my odometer, next spring. :)

Neither hose looks correct. I have an NOS PS hose but I would have to look up the part number to confirm that it is a high pressure hose. Let me know if you are interested. FYI, I have 3 of them.

It's what Auto Zone had after I accidentally ripped the old one apart replacing the return hose. 3x the size, but should be good for 300k right? Or with my odometer, next spring. :)
I don't understand why you have a filter on there to begin with. They never used one.

As I understand it, they started using filters when they started using rack and pinion steering because of the rack wear spreading junk into the system. IMHO, adding one to our cars is just another spot where it can leak. They may slow the return flow back to the pump, but that also might not be an issue.

There are a couple (supposed) NOS on eBay that show this part number:

Mopar NOS 1966-68 B& 67 Ply/Dodge C-Body 273/318/383 P/S Pressure Hose 2891109

1966-1968 POWER STEERING HOSE B C BODY 2891109 273 318 383

Last edited:
I don't understand why you have a filter on there to begin with. They never used one.

As I understand it, they started using filters when they started using rack and pinion steering because of the rack wear spreading junk into the system. IMHO, adding one to our cars is just another spot where it can leak. They may slow the return flow back to the pump, but that also might not be an issue.
I'll chalk that one up to "ignorant proactiveness" as I could've sworn I read somewhere else on here that a filter was a good idea. Although the old one was only about an inch wide so I had to add some extra length to get this one to route properly without pinching.

There are a couple (supposed) NOS on eBay that show this part number:

Mopar NOS 1966-68 B& 67 Ply/Dodge C-Body 273/318/383 P/S Pressure Hose 2891109

1966-1968 POWER STEERING HOSE B C BODY 2891109 273 318 383

Holy cow, that second one points to an Edelmann 70333 which is as close to absolute certainty as I've seen, and even mentions the federal style pump. Thank you!

Holy cow, that second one points to an Edelmann 70333 which is as close to absolute certainty as I've seen, and even mentions the federal style pump. Thank you!
Eh I'd be careful as the Canadian one has been doctored up, if you look at it with a computer with the eBay magnify you can see serious rust pitting in the center restrictor with the metal parts having been painted. The metal pipes & couplers were never painted but had a cadmium plating. The rubber parts look to have had some 'Rubber Rejuvenator' applied and the soft rubber cushion cover looks roached but that is fairly normal as my 1968 Fury III P/S soft cover looked about the same in the mid 70's. The Canadian one may be NOS but it's been stored improperly and has been spruced up so to say.

The USA one looks aged NOS and that hose has been up on eBay for ages I guess no one wants to trust 50 year old rubber.

Eh I'd be careful as the Canadian one has been doctored up, if you look at it with a computer with the eBay magnify you can see serious rust pitting in the center restrictor with the metal parts having been painted. The metal pipes & couplers were never painted but had a cadmium plating. The rubber parts look to have had some 'Rubber Rejuvenator' applied and the soft rubber cushion cover looks roached but that is fairly normal as my 1968 Fury III P/S soft cover looked about the same in the mid 70's. The Canadian one may be NOS but it's been stored improperly and has been spruced up so to say.

The USA one looks aged NOS and that hose has been up on eBay for ages I guess no one wants to trust 50 year old rubber.

Oh I went to the Edelmann website from the ebay listing (Pressure Power Steering Hose 225 318 383 440 for Dodge Plymouth Chrysler Mopar | eBay) that shows the part as "EM 333 ps" and referenced it from there. NOS is great but I don't trust 50yo rubber either!

Oh I went to the Edelmann website from the ebay listing (Pressure Power Steering Hose 225 318 383 440 for Dodge Plymouth Chrysler Mopar | eBay) that shows the part as "EM 333 ps" and referenced it from there. NOS is great but I don't trust 50yo rubber either!
Yea just looking at the old NOS pictures will give you an image of the correct bends for the metal pipes, of course you have to have some idea/memory of what was on the car back in the day. Part numbers will help but some younger people really have no experience or hands on with these old cars and can get mis-directed.

Back