68 fury fasttop

Reaction score
I am really starting to love C bodies!
I am an A body person and I have mostly darts and dusters. I have even dabbled with a few B bodies. In Jan 2016 I was looking for a 383 and got a tip about a 66 polara, so I was thinking a c body would be a great source for a 383. Then I fall in love with the car because it turned out to be a polara 500 that is oozing with coolness.

So fast forward to summer of 18. I am on my way to make a deal on a 66 fury and I mentioned it to a friend. He says "i know where there is a car like that". I follow the tip and I find an unexpected 68 fury fast top. The car is in decent shape considering that it was almost made into a low rider......ugh!!!

The would be low riders hacked the dash although I did get the car running and driving and have been driving it around farm land. It makes noise and clunks when it hits bumps, it's great.

I love driving it around the yard and can't wait to turn it into a daily driver.

So it begins with another fury on the way to becoming a good car again that petula Clark would be proud of.

20181105_075909.jpg

20181105_075939.jpg

20181105_080906.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome. Nice car, thanks for saving it. Your dash looks like it just needs another dash bezel. Good luck on your project.

Congratulations on the car. I started the same way when I was 16 getting a 72 340 Dart (1st car and still have it). Since then I have had a 75 Dart, 67 Coronet, two 69 Coronets; and currently have a 66 Belvedere and my beloved 68 Fury. Nothing rides like a "C" body.

Congratulations on the car. I started the same way when I was 16 getting a 72 340 Dart (1st car and still have it). Since then I have had a 75 Dart, 67 Coronet, two 69 Coronets; and currently have a 66 Belvedere and my beloved 68 Fury. Nothing rides like a "C" body.
Dang, I think you are living a parallel life here.

My first A body was a 72 dart swinger (slant six) I also have a 68 coronet and a 67 belvedere 1 2 door post. Now I daily drive a 68 dart 2 door Very similar cars.

I am really starting to love C bodies!
I am an A body person and I have mostly darts and dusters. I have even dabbled with a few B bodies. In Jan 2016 I was looking for a 383 and got a tip about a 66 polara, so I was thinking a c body would be a great source for a 383. Then I fall in love with the car because it turned out to be a polara 500 that is oozing with coolness.

So fast forward to summer of 18. I am on my way to make a deal on a 66 fury and I mentioned it to a friend. He says "i know where there is a car like that". I follow the tip and I find an unexpected 68 fury fast top. The car is in decent shape considering that it was almost made into a low rider......ugh!!!

The would be low riders hacked the dash although I did get the car running and driving and have been driving it around farm land. It makes noise and clunks when it hits bumps, it's great.

I love driving it around the yard and can't wait to turn it into a daily driver.

So it begins with another fury on the way to becoming a good car again that petula Clark would be proud of.

View attachment 227648

View attachment 227649

View attachment 227650
:thumbsup:
Keep updates coming!

Another one Rani? Sweet! The C body bug bites, and doesn't let go, so looks like you're in for the long haul now!

As I told previously the car almost became a low rider. I concluded the would be low riders wanted to shave the door handles in favor of door poppers based on parts found in the trunk. Then once inside the car, I assume they thought it would be cool to have a push button start like seen in very new cars today.

So under the dash, they cut all the wires to the ignition switch and added a button and then hacked the wires to a permissive switch which I assume would have been hidden after final install.

Luckily the door poppers never came to be but under the dash is a mess

20181105_080019.jpg

So luckily FCBO exists and it is a way to gain knowledge about these cars and parts.

So thanks to @C Body Bob I now have some parts to reverse the low rider syndrome. Yes, it's a syndrome, the only word I can think to describe it.

So now i have some work to dig into the dash and get things right.

I opted for a non A/c bezel and wire harness. I never use A/C even in cars that have it. That is what vent wing windows are for .... right. So I might need to change the heater control and who knows what else to make it look like a factory non a/c car.

Plus this car might end up with a different engine soon, maybe a bigger one.

20181119_020912.jpg

Anyone know what goes in the blank spot between the fan and flasher switches??

View attachment 230878
Glad to help. I think that’s a speaker fader controll. I think I have a heat only controll with cables also if you need that. $20 plus the shipping. I’ll be back over at the storage place in the next few days. I can look if you want.

Glad to help. I think that’s a speaker fader controll. I think I have a heat only controll with cables also if you need that. $20 plus the shipping. I’ll be back over at the storage place in the next few days. I can look if you want.
The speaker fade is there, the one all the way to the right so I think the blank spot is still something else

So in the last few days I spent some time removing the a/c stuff. I made the decision to go non a/c because I rarely use the a/c in cars that have it. I have been daily driving a dart since 2012 without a/c. It might get in the way of a possible 440 swap...... big maybe.

For now, when I took it off, i found a very, very, and I mean very greasy engine

20181125_190241.jpg

20181126_161221.jpg

20181126_163056.jpg

I ordered a new non a/c alternator bracket set.

I am going to have to address the pulleys. I think the water pump pulley is different for non a/c.

Today was a fairly decent warm day. If you consider 68 degrees warm.

So I power washed some of the grease off. Needs a few rounds with the power washer but I can see some areas of the original turquoise engine paint.

20181128_154858.jpg

20181128_154905.jpg

20181128_154914.jpg

Back