68 Fury III Resurrection in MA

Why do you want to separate the hubs & rotors? From the look of your daughter cleaning the rotor surface I take it you are going to use these rotors, I wouldn't clean anything but just put in new outer bearing races (or use old, your choice) send then to get resurfaced and if they come back out of spec/unusable scrap the rotors.
On a good 'steel' workbench I've wacked out lug studs with a 24oz ballpeen hammer, they are 'swagged in' from the factory so it takes some hammer talent to do it right, some make take more than one hammer blow but it can be done fairly quickly. Now if you want to save/reuse the lug studs or don't have good hammer skills, use a press as also if with 3 good blows with a hammer they ain't out you may need to press them anyways after 50 years of being together they don't like to part company too quickly.

honestly - after some advice from several FCBO members - looks like I don’t need to separate them. Was only doing it to get it all cleaned up. After a dip in some evaporust.....cleaned up nicely. I will do the other one next. Will work on bearings another day. I will get them turned and hope they stay in spec. If not - may be spending for new set soon enough.

Today - after cleaning up one of the rusty rotors, I then squeezed on the sway bar links. Afterwards I cleaned out the garage, re-organized my tools and parts as they were getting a bit scattered. Now set to start again another day.

03D5958F-6419-47F8-8846-D013B743B170.jpeg
C892B9B1-D562-4551-9660-A7466CB0ACCE.jpeg

Well...in the words of Jeff Spicoli on “Fast Times at Ridgemont High”...Bummer dude. Rotors with rust removed, turned and evened up on each side makes it out of spec. Below 1.20 (and even 1.19). It had too much pitting frankly on the backside. Will be purchasing a replacement set. On the bright side - it looked good when done, my daughter and I worked on it together, and we learned how everything went together (and apart). Now onto some yard work....the hunt for rotors.

Not much done on the FURY this weekend.....but did see this BEAUTIFUL Plymouth Belvedere (1957?) at Steve Peluso’s shop in Mendon during my errands this weekend.

82402FA9-2510-4BA9-99B9-D8F8F0060C40.jpeg

03354DAC-30AE-49A9-B07C-4542846975AF.jpeg
A5D61665-6960-4BBF-B6D6-5B62384C9D07.jpeg
A2FBEAAB-B5DD-44C0-973E-187BB0C678EC.jpeg
Ok. Cool rainy Friday night ahead of cold rainy weekend in New England. So spent some time out in the shed. Pressed in new bearings, seals into new rotors. Mounted rotors onto stub frame. Next - will go around make sure all grease fittings are on the ball joints and other parts. I didn’t finish that.

Question to all - Should I hold off calipers and pads and torque the bolts until I get the stub frame on the car? I know I should hold off on the torsion bar. It seems like I should torque everything when on the car but then again it is independent of the rest of the car. Opinions?

I will start looking for 15” rims too....so I can eventually roll this back to the garage.

Put the pads and calipers on, flex hoses and steel brake lines if needed
When stub is installed, and lines connected to master cylinder, bleed the brakes
Simple as that.

Today I started to prep the engine for removal. Drained fluids, disconnected hoses, electrical, trans cooler lines, etc. still more to do…but great to get it started.

ok - been a few weeks.

Engine stripped of pumps, alternator, carb, belts hoses, etc. mounts remaining. Need to disconnect mounts and disconnect draft shaft. Decided to pull engine with transmission as one unit.

Upgraded my one ton lift set up to a 2 ton engine hoist, engine stand and a transmission lift/Dolly. One ton arm did Not reach far enough. Got the adjusting leveling bar too. Finally - intent is to pull engine and trans this weekend if all goes well…..or thanksgiving week if I get PTO approved. Stoked. Then the stub frame afterwards.

Stay tuned. Thank goodness for FSM and FCBO members advice.

Checkout this 56 Belvedere in a local garage. The prior owner bought it new. The garage owner picked it up from the family that weekend. All documented.
D4A682B2-0527-44E3-BBE6-86C6A8BF7DA3.jpeg
2BB3471C-4E1D-415C-9E05-84B1C7A8EC56.jpeg
715ADD44-A5B8-4BE3-BDA4-DAE8EA51143A.jpeg
43B27432-2CC3-4EF6-958C-291258487A98.jpeg
D4F32098-F4B2-4912-898B-0ACCD07A38DD.jpeg
Had a restoration late 90’s. My son were there to pick up his Malibu when we struck up a conversation. He was happy to show it off. Look at my son’s amazement.

Having a true appreciation of a few points here….
  • If you think the motor and trans is ready to be pulled….there is likely 10 more little connections, linkage, etc remaining to be disconnected down below.
  • Next time I look at a house….will consider sizing it up for a garage or barn capable of a lift. Raising and lowering on a jack and stands can get frustrating.
  • Learning a LOT! LOL

Just finished reading the whole thread, what a great looking car and exciting project! Congratulations on saving this Fury... now I need an update!!!

Back