'68 Fury III: Steering Gearbox Won't Mount Flush

FirmlyFeelThis!

Reaction score
Hello, new to the forum and haven't seen this sort of issue posted yet.

I recently got a replacement steering gearbox from a parts store after pulling my old one and turning it in for the core charge. This new gearbox appears to be for something newer like an 80's New Yorker perhaps, but the mounting flanges did appear to be the same as my old gearbox. The trouble is, it will not mount flush. I tried another gearbox and it seems to be way off from lining up with the mounting points on the stub frame as well.

I'm wondering if anyone had ever gotten one of these gearboxes as a replacement?
It seems unlikely I could have tweaked the flange it mounts to during removal, and there were no shims in place with the old gearbox. Below are pictures of the unit I received and a picture to show how far off it is from mounting flush. The picture sucks, but with it pulled as close to the holes as possible I can still get fingers in the gap:
IMG_20201008_105701.jpg
IMG_20201008_105736.jpg

Any information would be appreciated. I'm not opposed to buying a proper period correct replacement, but the $300 difference was enticing...

Last edited:
There are shims to make the mounting flush, Just like fender shims. Make sure it is flush or you could break off a mounting arm.

Awesome, thanks. I had read about shimming the steering gearbox, but this just seemed really far off alignment to me. I'll see if I can find some 1/8th inch thick washers unless there's a shim kit of some sort.

Washers could be a real P.I.T.A. , try to find fender shims. Most body supply places have them. Just make sure they slide in after you get the bolt in.

Whatever that gear came out of it is not for a '68 C-Body. The gear in the photo is a completely different design. If you got one that was a Cardone rebuild, this is a common problem, misboxed parts.

Dave

Whatever that gear came out of it is not for a '68 C-Body. The gear in the photo is a completely different design. If you got one that was a Cardone rebuild, this is a common problem, misboxed parts.

Dave
I agree. That’s not a 68. I’ve sold two in the last few weeks. Thinking something older

Hello, new to the forum and haven't seen this sort of issue posted yet.

I recently got a replacement steering gearbox from a parts store after pulling my old one and turning it in for the core charge. This new gearbox appears to be for something newer like an 80's New Yorker perhaps, but the mounting flanges did appear to be the same as my old gearbox. The trouble is, it will not mount flush. I tried another gearbox and it seems to be way off from lining up with the mounting points on the stub frame as well.

I'm wondering if anyone had ever gotten one of these gearboxes as a replacement?
It seems unlikely I could have tweaked the flange it mounts to during removal, and there were no shims in place with the old gearbox. Below are pictures of the unit I received and a picture to show how far off it is from mounting flush. The picture sucks, but with it pulled as close to the holes as possible I can still get fingers in the gap:View attachment 407487 View attachment 407488
Any information would be appreciated. I'm not opposed to buying a proper period correct replacement, but the $300 difference was enticing...
I have one left if you want to have Firm Feel rebuild you one. I can ship it directly to them to save you some shipping.

Just wanted to go ahead and follow up on this. Washers worked! No doubt body shims would have been easier on a one man job, but I had some help. The replacement gearbox was indeed a Cardone reman, but it worked, and the steering was not much heavier or rougher when I got done. I rebuilt the steering coupler, installed a new gearbox, and redid the front suspension before selling it to another fella that worked in a transmission shop. When I got the car, it was pushed out of a field with a tractor, now someone is driving it daily and constantly adding to it.

To be honest the original gearbox new may have been a dream compared to what I put in it, but it was so far gone that anything was an improvement. The steering was still soft enough to use with one finger.

Last edited:
Back