68 Fury Indicator Problem

Allacks

Reaction score
So, I received a fender indicator lens kit for the Fury for Christmas and I went to install it and it turns out its for a Roadrunner. I decided to try it anyways as it said it works for the Bullet Indicators and doesn't fit. The threads are different, which would be fine if it worked as I need to replace both anyways and I could remove the guts and use these. I tried plugging it in the bullet connector(I think thats what it is called) and it didn't work. I tried the good old aluminum foil trick to see if it was a connection problem and nothing. I tried putting everything back together and discovered the front grille indicator and the fender indicator didn't work now. I'm assuming it blew a fuse, but I'm not well versed in the electrical part. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
IMG_1217.JPG

Start by removing all of the turn signal indicator bulbs and cleaning all of the bulb sockets of all corrosion. Reinstall known working bulbs with some dielectric grease and continue by unplugging all of the connections in that circuit, clean them and reconnect them with the same grease. Lastly clean all of the ground connections in the circuit and inspect and clean the fuse block as needed and this would also be a good time to clean, inspect & grease all the bulkhead connections on the firewall into the cabin. Do this front to back.

Last edited:
B & C Body cars that used the Bullet style fender mounted turn signal indicators used the same turn signal indicator. Nothing is difference. The only difference, which is the same for B & C Body cars is that '67's and early production '68's used lenses that did not have a slot. These lamps are notorious for being difficult to ground. You may have to run a ground wire to get them to work.

Start by removing all of the turn signal indicator bulbs and cleaning all of the bulb sockets of all corrosion. Reinstall known working bulbs with some dielectric grease and continue by unplugging all of the connections in that circuit, clean them and reconnect them with the same grease. Lastly clean all of the ground connections in the circuit and inspect and clean the fuse block as needed and this would also be a good time to clean, inspect & grease all the bulkhead connections on the firewall into the cabin. Do this front to back.
Ok, that sounds like some good ideas. I did have the battery removed for a little before this so I will start there first and check connections and then go on from there.

B & C Body cars that used the Bullet style fender mounted turn signal indicators used the same turn signal indicator. Nothing is difference. The only difference, which is the same for B & C Body cars is that '67's and early production '68's used lenses that did not have a slot. These lamps are notorious for being difficult to ground. You may have to run a ground wire to get them to work.
That is good to know! I'm happy no money was wasted then. I didn't know about the grounding issue so I will check that.

My thought was a ground problem. I had a customers 68 GTX in the shop and a problem getting the rear side marker lights to work because they get there ground through the threaded nut that holds them to the quarter panel

School started back up so I've had little time to get to the problem and the car demanded other parts when I had time. I recently drove the Fury through a rain storm and the front grille indicator decided to start working again so I'm not complaining. One question I had was, where would I attach a ground wire to? I was also wondering if anyone had pictures that they could share of where their passenger side fender indicator hooked up to. My car did not come with an affixed fender indicator when I bought it and I'm not sure if my wiring has the hook up.

Run a ground wire from under one of the mounting nuts for the fender top turn signal indicator to a good ground source. You should have power coming from the turn signal positive wire to the fender top turn signal lamps.

On my 68 Newport,I attached a ground wire to the stud/nut and grounded to the rad core support.
Shown here for clarity before extra ground wire..
boab october 2017 003.JPG

My first thought was bad grounds as well. I know I also had issues getting the fender turn signals working right on my 68 Coronet years ago....same thing just really tough to get a ground. Your lights starting to work after some wet driving is classic bad ground symptom.

Back