68 Fury Power Brake Conversion.

68 4spd Fury

Reaction score
At the Syracuse nationals I met up with someone who had some parts. Finally connected, he had a power brake unit, (from a 67, mine is a 68). Would like to adapt this, (mine is manual drums). I've looked at the parts manual, looks like I need a differnt brake pedal braket, reinforcing plate and brake pedal. Has anyone done this conversion? Obviously I'd rebuild the master, What else would I be looking at?
IMG_1543.JPG
IMG_1545.JPG

You are correct on the parts that you need unless you come across a dealer installed power brake conversion booster and bracket. I have seen them on eBay over the year. The 67 & 68 Furys used the same master cylinders and boosters. I think my parts car has manual brakes. If I am wrong and it does have power brakes you are welcome to the parts.

You are correct on the parts that you need unless you come across a dealer installed power brake conversion booster and bracket. I have seen them on eBay over the year. The 67 & 68 Furys used the same master cylinders and boosters. I think my parts car has manual brakes. If I am wrong and it does have power brakes you are welcome to the parts.[/QUOTE]

That would be great, thanks. Let me know what you have.

Along with the master and booster a set of drums were included. The fronts are the same as mine, (11 x 2 3/4) so I'll hold onto those, but the rears are to small, they are 11 x 2 or 2 1/4, mine are 2 1/2. If anyone wants them, shipping cost only.
IMG_1546.JPG
IMG_1547.JPG
IMG_1548.JPG
IMG_1549.JPG

Last edited:
Well, getting close to the conversion to power brakes. I hooked up with a guy north of me that has a yard of mopar parts cars. From a 68 300 convertible, got a pedal, bracket and reinforcing plate, (w/another master, booster & dist. block), for $25. It's an automatic pedal, hopefully I can make something work when I get into it.
IMG_1885.JPG

Nice bonus too, a nice left headlight trim for $10. MUch better than mine that's dinged up pretty good.
IMG_1882.JPG
IMG_1883.JPG

The stick and the auto use a different support bracket for the pedals, will take some welding and other tinkering. Be sure to have that booster rebuilt and toss the brake warning block. You can use your existing block as the power and standard brakes use the same one. The brake lines should be re-fabricated as they are rusted. Good Luck.

Dave

The stick and the auto use a different support bracket for the pedals, will take some welding and other tinkering. Be sure to have that booster rebuilt and toss the brake warning block. You can use your existing block as the power and standard brakes use the same one. The brake lines should be re-fabricated as they are rusted. Good Luck.

Dave
Yea, lines are toast. These came off a disc brake car, shows different PN#'s for master and booster so I'll stick with the other ones I have. I'll keep looking for a manual trans power brake pedal, doubtful I can find one so I'll do the best I can / if I can.

I believe a reman’d one of those boosters is available at Autozone if you can’t find a good place to get yours reman’d.

I believe a reman’d one of those boosters is available at Autozone if you can’t find a good place to get yours reman’d.

i wanna say teh booster supply is gone, and buy any booster you see, but dont hold me to that.

booster steve and booster dewey will rebuild it for $2hundy I just had one done.

just for reference my 68 fury III had power drum w/single booster.
my 68 sport fury had disc brake w/dual booster.

try not to die -

- saylor

That’s good info. $200 for a rebuild is a great price. (Even if you did find a parts house with one, I recall it being over $150 w/o a core....15 years ago).

68 4spd fury

Any interest in selling the auto pedal bracket that you have?
Does anyone know, does it have to be a 67-68 only pedal bracket? I have pulled a pwr pedal bracket out of a 63 car that looked exact from under the dash, it did not work. Then I pulled one out of a 70 model Plymouth and it didn’t work either.

68 4spd fury

Any interest in selling the auto pedal bracket that you have?
Does anyone know, does it have to be a 67-68 only pedal bracket? I have pulled a pwr pedal bracket out of a 63 car that looked exact from under the dash, it did not work. Then I pulled one out of a 70 model Plymouth and it didn’t work either.

Not at this point, I'd like to hang onto it until I attempt the job. Since stick shift brackets are few and far between I'd like to see a manual brake auto set up and see what the differences are, that might help with what I want to do.

If I remember correctly I made a 65 Polara manual brake auto car into a power brake setup and just replaced the underhood stuff, so it was the same pedals and such. Shortly after that I had to go back to manual brakes to support the 4 speed I was installing. This was a long long time ago in a far away galaxy though, so don't quote me......... (I think it was late 70's or very early 80's)

Not at this point, I'd like to hang onto it until I attempt the job. Since stick shift brackets are few and far between I'd like to see a manual brake auto set up and see what the differences are, that might help with what I want to do.
Any update on your build? I finally tracked down a pedal and got mine doing. I am now in the middle of a disc conversion.

Back