68 fury sedan drum to disk

1968fury3sedan

Reaction score
Trying to switch the drums to rotors.
I found some disk brake spindles off a 68 chrysler 300 will these work? If so will I need to order rotors and calipers for a 68 fury or rotors and calipers for a 300?
Sorry pretty much a noob for c bodies . I am unsure if the 300 and fury is same spindle and different parts.
Any help appreciated.

Trying to switch the drums to rotors.
I found some disk brake spindles off a 68 chrysler 300 will these work? If so will I need to order rotors and calipers for a 68 fury or rotors and calipers for a 300?
Sorry pretty much a noob for c bodies . I am unsure if the 300 and fury is same spindle and different parts.
Any help appreciated.

Well the good news is that the '68 spindle will bolt on, the bad news is that the '68 spindle was used with the Budd brake system which is very hard to find parts for. These dual piston calipers are usually going to need to be sleeved as part of the repair process and that is expensive. Front disc pads are also difficult and expensive to find. An even bigger problem is the lower ball joint that must be changed to accept the Budd brakes, those are all but non existent. Do not buy the '68 spindles unless you can find the complete system, rotors for that system are also expensive..

A more economical choice would be '69-'72 Plymouth, Chrysler or Dodge spindles. Those use a single piston caliper and you can use the existing drum brake ball joints. Parts for these are generally available. Another choice would be the '73 spindles for which rotors and pads are readily available as they are the same as the 1/2 ton vans and pickups Calipers for all of these older Mopars are starting to be hard to find, so you might want to find a parts car to acquire all of the parts you need. You will need a '68-'70 Bendix dual diaphragm booster to power the disc brake setup. Note that some '71 models also used the Bendix booster as did some '72 police cruisers and vehicles equipped with the heavy tow package. Be sure to also buy and after market brake portioning valve to re-balance the brake system. Plymouth, Chrysler (Except Imperial) and Dodge all use the same rotor and pads for '69-'72, Calipers are the same from '69-'73. '73 rotor must be used with '73 spindle.

Dave

Last edited:
Dave thank you for your reply. You sound VERY knowledgeable about these vehicles one last question . How do you feel about drum to disk conversion kits. I am looking at a Wilwood kit that would be way easier than trying to source spindles calipers and rotors that will work. Thoughts?
Well the good news is that the '68 spindle will bolt on, the bad news is that the '68 spindle was used with the Budd brake system which is very hard to find parts for. These dual piston calipers are usually going to need to be sleeved as part of the repair process and that is expensive. Front disc pads are also difficult and expensive to find. An even bigger problem is the lower ball joint that must be changed to accept the Budd brakes, those are all but non existent. Do not buy the '68 spindles unless you can find the complete system, rotors for that system are also expensive..

A more economical choice would be '69-'72 Plymouth, Chrysler or Dodge spindles. Those use a single piston caliper and you can use the existing drum brake ball joints. Parts for these are generally available. Another choice would be the '73 spindles for which rotors and pads are readily available as they are the same as the 1/2 ton vans and pickups Calipers for all of these older Mopars are starting to be hard to find, so you might want to find a parts car to acquire all of the parts you need. You will need a '68-'70 Bendix dual diaphragm booster to power the disc brake setup. Note that some '71 models also used the Bendix booster as did some '72 police cruisers and vehicles equipped with the heavy tow package. Be sure to also buy and after market brake portioning valve to re-balance the brake system. Plymouth, Chrysler (Except Imperial) and Dodge all use the same rotor and pads for '69-'72, Calipers are the same from '69-'73. '73 rotor must be used with '73 spindle.

Dave

Dave thank you for your reply. You sound VERY knowledgeable about these vehicles one last question . How do you feel about drum to disk conversion kits. I am looking at a Wilwood kit that would be way easier than trying to source spindles calipers and rotors that will work. Thoughts?

While I don't have their conversion kit, I do run those calipers included in the kit on the factory disc knuckles and Lincoln MKZ rotors, I can say they are more than enough to stop a C body quickly. I would surmise Wilwood has put in enough RD to make it a quality kit. Should I luck myself into drum knuckles somewhere down the road I will be ordering the full kit myself.

The main reservation I have with most of the conversion kits is that they use a ChiCom reproduction booster that is of questionable quality. For that reason I try to stay with factory parts.

Dave

The main reservation I have with ALL of the conversion kits is that they use a ChiCom reproduction booster AND OTHER PARTS that is of questionable quality. For that reason I try to stay with factory parts.

Fixed

My biggest problem with the Wilwood stuff unless they have changed recently, is their rotors are less than an inch thick and .75" less diameter. A stock 11.75 C body rotor is 1.25" thick.

Kevin

Back