'68 Imperial under hood shots...

Reaction score
While I've had many C-bodies in the past, this is my first Imperial, so bear that in mind. However, there are a couple of things that look out of place here. I assume this the voltage regulator, mounted on that plate on top of the inner fender? It looks factory, but does this car have factory electronic ignition then?
Voltage Regulator.jpg

Also, in the second picture, what is this small black tank next to the horns for? It looks like a small vacuum tank of sorts. I'm NOT talking about the radiator overflow tank..
Vacuum Tank.jpg

That’s a replacement voltage regulator to replace the old mechanical one, you may still be running points with that upgrade. The reservoir is either for your hvac controls or vacuum trunk release.

That’s a replacement voltage regulator to replace the old mechanical one, you may still be running points with that upgrade. The reservoir is either for your hvac controls or vacuum trunk release.

I was trying to get a look at the old distributor. it's hard to tell whether its electronic or points-type without removing the cap, or is it:
Distributor.jpg

Agree, it's "points". Points have the black wire going into the distributor, factory electronic ignitions have two wires in that place, as I recall.

There can be more differences in the after 1966 Imperials than one might suspect, compared to the same era C-body cars.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Back