'68 Newp door hinge rebuild?

GrandpasDream

Reaction score
Has anyone successfully accomplished a hinge rebuild? Driver side hinge has a bit of slack in it and wondered if there are parts/pins/brass bushings to rebuild (highly doubtful) or if I can improvise with a different kit for another make/model/year?

Any thoughts?

Has anyone successfully accomplished a hinge rebuild? Driver side hinge has a bit of slack in it and wondered if there are parts/pins/brass bushings to rebuild (highly doubtful) or if I can improvise with a different kit for another make/model/year?

Any thoughts?

Car quest sells a pin and bushing kit that will work. Note it is a universal kit that has the right pin diameter, but the pin is usually too long. Bushings supplied are bronze and some of the kits come with more than one type.

Dave

Seems like there are some of the Mopar resto vendors that sell pins/bushings now. Much of what you might find in the HELP! rack are for GM applications, as we sold the heck out of GM pickup truck door hinge pin/bushings. They usually had one long pin and the bushings. The pin diameter was somewhat common, but the bushings could be different. IF the OD of the bushings is larger than where they go in your Chrysler hinges, a little drill bit action can fix that.

Later models use two shorter pins with the same bushings, I believe. Take measurements of what you have (pin diameter and OD of the existing bushings) and see if you can match them up. ALSO, you might look in the Dorman Parts website, under your particular application.

CBODY67

Seems like there are some of the Mopar resto vendors that sell pins/bushings now. Much of what you might find in the HELP! rack are for GM applications, as we sold the heck out of GM pickup truck door hinge pin/bushings. They usually had one long pin and the bushings. The pin diameter was somewhat common, but the bushings could be different. IF the OD of the bushings is larger than where they go in your Chrysler hinges, a little drill bit action can fix that.

Later models use two shorter pins with the same bushings, I believe. Take measurements of what you have (pin diameter and OD of the existing bushings) and see if you can match them up. ALSO, you might look in the Dorman Parts website, under your particular application.

CBODY67

Car quest sells a pin and bushing kit that will work. Note it is a universal kit that has the right pin diameter, but the pin is usually too long. Bushings supplied are bronze and some of the kits come with more than one type.

Dave

I searched the forum didn't see any how to. Is it literally a matter of pounding out old pin and bushing and inserting the new ones? Thanks to both of you, truly.

Basically, yes. You might find some YouTube vids for '75+ Chevy pickups rather than Mopars. If there are any nubbins on the shaft, they'll need to be removed. On the GM pins, there's usually an e-clip style retainer that slides into the "lock groove".

Hopefully, the wear will be in the bushing and the pin. IF it's gone too far, elongating the hole the bushing seats into, then as I noted, it's "drill time" and the oversize/larger bronze bushing is used.

CBODY67

Back