68 Newport, doing a vinyl wrap. My progress

Biggredd2069

Reaction score
Wrapping my Newport. About 900 bucks in supplies. Almost done, have to order 2 more panels worth, 16 feet. Few rookie mistakes I just gotta deal with but nothing completely horrible. Some wrinkles in small places I'm not happy about. Took door handles and mirrors off and badging. Did some body repair but everything shows through so ultimately I'm just making things less bad rather than full body repair. It's a relatively similar color to that I have, just isn't faded. Son removing door handle, daughter helping apply the vinyl. Here is the progress.

20210723_142642.jpg

20210724_154711.jpg

20210723_124743.jpg

20210723_115058.jpg

Last edited:
I am astonished at how good that looks. I am old school and automatically think of the traditional routes (paint). But this looks like an economical alternative since paint work is getting astronomical.

I saw a wrap on a late model import coming into the cruise night last night and it was a color changing wrap. Kinda cool, especially as it was cloudy and you could really see the colors change. His taste in color... Well... He needs someone in his life (like a woman with taste) to tell him "No, that's not a good choice".
It was a flat color too.

But I digress....

I'd really like to see how this vinyl looks next to a good paint job. With $10k paint costs becoming the norm, $1k worth of vinyl is a bargain. I'd like to see if there still is the "depth" and richness that good paint can have. We had our vans vinyl wrapped at work, but honestly, while the graphics were amazing, the application details that would drive me crazy (like around the cargo doors) were sloppy at best. I'll write that off as a quick commercial job though. We had a hard time getting our guys to even run them them through the car wash so I don't know how they would have looked if they were detailed up nicely.

It hasn't really caught on around here... or at least in the circles I run in. I've wondered about it as an alterative to repainting my Barracuda. Minimal body work needed on that, white color with no metallic. It might be a good candidate, but I still need to see it in person.

Very interesting! I've only seen one wrapped vehicle up close. It was a 4x4 done in camo, and I didn't know what I was looking at. Took some close scrutiny to realize what it was. How do the wraps stand up? Yours looks great!
great to see the kids involved! Lindsay

It looks very good. I personally would not go that route but my decision is based on my lack of knowledge and inexperience with wraps. Yours looks great and I recently seen several cars that I didn't even know were wrapped they looked that good. I could of bought a beautiful 68 300 that needed paint after spending 15000 on my spot fury for paint. I wish I was aware of how good wrapping comes out I would of bought the 300. Good luck and it is great to see you getting your children involved. Enjoy them when there young. Time spent with them is priceless I am sure down the road they will always remember fondly the time spent with Dad working on his car.

I've wondered about that sort of thing as an alternative way to redo the faux wood on wagons.

Excellent point!

My brother-in-law is a professional auto painter and said the vinyl shows none of the underlying colour through.

You can get vinyl printed for commercial advertising on vehicles so printing wood grain makes perfect sense!

A big consideration on doing this is where you live and how hot it gets. Lots of wrapped commercial vehicles out here go to heck in about 18 mos. The trick is pulling it off before it fails. If you wait until it shatters you’re done for.

Lookin good by the way. Nice shade of Red.

Back