68 Newport. Fried ignition wiring harness

Biggredd2069

Reaction score
So somehow my ignition wires completely melted and fried. I hope I can just get a new connector with a maybe 6 inches to a foot of wiring and cut out the burnt wires and splice in the connector. Any thoughts? Like 4 of my wires completely overloaded and melted.

Sounds obvious, but best to find out why they overheated before you go replacing them. Not sure which wires were fried, but bad voltage limiter? Bad relay? Wire gauge too thin? Bad voltage regulator?

I looked at the pic in your other thread and those wires affected don't look like the stock ones.

Good point. As far as I can see its the just few inches from where it plugs into the ignition switch. It's a new voltage regulator. I have a pertronix flame thrower 2 electronic ignition. Was the stock wires otherwise

Funny you mention that. I just bought a full engine wiring harness from them about 2 months ago. I had just emailed them right before you posted this. Hopefully they'll have something. My Google searches are proving worthless, short of ridiculous full wiring kits.

That’s because there is no “ignition“ wire harness. It’s the engine wire harness, it has the coil +, aliternator, coolant temp sensor, oil press sensor, horn wires all made into it.
Also, it is impossible finding any kind of ignition wiring harness for this vehicle.

The Ignition Switch harness is the dash harness, the full dash harness.

Alan

Damn! It hurts me just thinking of you up there. I'd just rewire the whole damned mess, but most folks want to buy the harness done up as a piece. I had a meltdown from the alternator stud shorting due to a busted mtor mount and NO overcurrent protection shortly after purchasing our ride back in 2016, but I jumpered a couple things and limped home. Of course, we run only good old breaker point ignition here. I COULD do an EFI rig, but WON'T, for me or mine.

Back