'68 Newport matching numbers engine???

Metalmarty

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm doing some research on my '68 Newport to see if I still have the original engine in it.
I've searched a lot on the web and forums but I'm still not 100% sure, no VIN can be found on the engine block.

I have to be sure that this is the original engine because our government is very strict on this when a car is getting registered. If no VIN is available on the engine I have to proof that it belongs to this car.

The car is a '68 Newport with a 383 2-bbl from factory.
I still have the build sheet underneath the back seat!
It has been eaten away by mice partially unfortunately...

The fendertag is original and matches my build sheet.
Apparently the car's built date is from 6th October 1967 (A06). (Not 1968...)
03x7-I2LWtrcs2yKHgckixoDB-XkMstxD9pI_rRgXqpRAQ0WuhHejswayORMjb0xjIgyzScT=w732-h976-no?authuser=0.jpg

k9NjLAbk4iUPBsxX-eaZMIQaeuW8MwiYN-pc6YBg0iuKQPfEeQ4KYM0MRrDvdi3Tk405H-Y=w1546-h870-no?authuser=0.jpg

I've been looking for a VIN on my 383 engine but I can't seem to find one.
Looked at the back of the block next to the oil pressure sender, nothing...

EDYoAECC4_YPs9QfhMKn8jJ8-cJH6Eev0CX8eT4-PQn9Esb18_brO4iVVDf3JAyQomj5ENp=w1546-h870-no?authuser=0.jpg

I also can't find a machined surface above the oil pan.
No VIN located there...

I did find the numbers next to the distributor.
It's a D383, so it's a 1968 model year block.
It's dated 9 28, (28th October), so 8 days before the date on the fendertag.
And it has an R which is correct since it's a 383 2-bbl 9.2 compression engine.
_xK4nGTSxmuqdqHdnI2yJp8KtZznr3ppO7ZSEUPKMnodPGGwuzfh4xp8sZlMn8GSE520e3k=w1546-h870-no?authuser=0.jpg

I've also found the Powertrain stamp on the bottom.
Z89Yl0ipJpHPnoVdmu3uy6DM_4HDTvJMgfogytq2V2BYNZgn9mtQcD8HyTvvyh1DKxVendxE=w732-h976-no?authuser=0.jpg

Are there any other ways that I've missed that confirms that this is a "numbers matching" engine?

Last edited:
No but I’d say you’ve proved your case but that’s easy to see as a Mopar guy. Unfortunately the people you have to worry about might want more convincing.

97 didn't have the vin stamped on the block and 69 did. 68 was a transition year. Yours may have a vin stamped and maybe not. If not, a date correct engine my be as close as you can get.

No but I’d say you’ve proved your case but that’s easy to see as a Mopar guy. Unfortunately the people you have to worry about might want more convincing.

97 didn't have the vin stamped on the block and 69 did. 68 was a transition year. Yours may have a vin stamped and maybe not. If not, a date correct engine my be as close as you can get.

Thanks.
So no further info for me to get from the engine block?

One more question.
The fendertag has A06 on it, which means October 6th.

Does that mean October 6th 1967 or 1968?
I'm not sure since model year and calender year are different sometimes?
The reason why I'm asking is that the engine has 1967 casting and on the bottom what it seems like datecode 2253 which is September 28, 1967
-i2lwtrcs2ykhgckixodb-xkmstxd9pi_rrgxqpraq0wuhhejswayormjb0xjigyzsct-w732-h976-no-authuser-0-jpg.jpg

Thanks.
So no further info for me to get from the engine block?

One more question.
The fendertag has A06 on it, which means October 6th.

Does that mean October 6th 1967 or 1968?
I'm not sure since model year and calender year are different sometimes?
The reason why I'm asking is that the engine has 1967 casting and on the bottom what it seems like datecode 2253 which is September 28, 1967
View attachment 386624

"Does that mean October 6th 1967 or 1968?"
68 models started production the first of August of 1967 so 1967.
A October 68 produced car would be a 69.

There is a embossed casting date on the side(can’t remember which) of the block but that probably won’t help your cause much either as it might have been cast 6 months before the car was assembled...

Correction Toolmanmike. I think you had a mis type. August of 67 is 1968 Model year. August 68 is a 1969 model year as correctly stated above.

Correction Toolmanmike. I think you had a mis type. August of 67 is 1968 Model year. August 68 is a 1969 model year as correctly stated above.
Ya, that's what I said just not too clearly. "Does that mean October 1967 or 1968?" It's like a 2 part question and can't be answered with a simple yes or no. LOL Thanks for your clarification. Your answer sounds much easier to understand.

@cbarge does your 68 383 have a VIN on the block?

Thanks. I forgot for a second that model year is not the same as production year... That makes things a lot clearer for me :)

There is a embossed casting date on the side(can’t remember which) of the block but that probably won’t help your cause much either as it might have been cast 6 months before the car was assembled...

Yes! The cast date is August 18. About 1.5 month before the date on the fender tag.
IMG_20200708_163241__01.jpg

Since we're on the subject of engine research.
I took the valve cover off one of the heads.
Does this look like a 906 head with a really crappy casting number to you guys? (a 906 head is supposed to be on this block for what I know)
IMG_20200709_191017.jpg
IMG_20200709_190906.jpg

Yep, I’d say that’s a 906.

I have to be sure that this is the original engine because our government is very strict on this when a car is getting registered. If no VIN is available on the engine I have to proof that it belongs to this car.
Wow!! Sure glad that is not the way it is here in California, at least for cars not needing to be smog tested. Neither the Newport nor the Gremlin would be able to be registered!!

@cbarge does your 68 383 have a VIN on the block?
No.
My car was built in September 1967.
Most 68's I had in the past will not show a VIN until later in the production run (read after January 1968)
From talking to the previous owner and also verifiying the same info you mentioned my engine is original to the car.
My old 68 NYer was built around February 25th 1968 and it had the VIN near the oil sender on the block next to bellhousing

Last edited:
If the motor is staying in the car you might want to tighten the bell housing bolt down that has its ugly head popping out..

No.
My car was built in September 1967.
Most 68's I had in the past will not show a VIN until later in the production run (read after January 1968)
From talking to the previous owner and also verifiying the same info you mentioned my engine is original to the car.
My old 68 NYer was built around February 25th 1968 and it had the VIN near the oil sender on the block next to bellhousing

Great. Thanks for the info! I will use all the information I can get. I'm going to bundle it together and bring it with me with import inspection to get it registered.

If the motor is staying in the car you might want to tighten the bell housing bolt down that has its ugly head popping out..

Lol. Well spotted...

The engine and trans are coming out of the car in the upcoming months. I'm planning on rebuilding the engine and refreshing the trans.

All these questions are to make sure I can proof to my government that this is my engine. Would be crap if they won't believe me that it's the matching engine after I've rebuild and repainted it... So I wanted to be sure that I have proof before I start spending money on the engine

Take an internet machine with you and show them this thread. We are experts after all....:lol:

Take an internet machine with you and show them this thread. We are experts after all....:lol:

I might create a big thread with a whole build log and a lot of pictures. That'll keep you guys up to date. Makes it easy for me to ask the occasional question for all the experts here to answer and gives me proof on all the work I've done :popcorn:

I'm really grateful for all the help and information I got so far.

I might create a big thread with a whole build log and a lot of pictures. That'll keep you guys up to date. Makes it easy for me to ask the occasional question for all the experts here to answer and gives me proof on all the work I've done :popcorn:

I'm really grateful for all the help and information I got so far.
Great idea of making a build thread. I am looking forward to it!

Back