'68 Newport side marker lights.

carrman

Reaction score
Hey gang, anyone know how to remove the side marker bulbs for replacement on a '68 Newport?

Last edited:
Hey gang, anyone know how to remove the side marker bulbs for replacement on a '69 Newport?
Title says 68, text says 69?? I assume you did mean 68, since you are getting one, and the 69 is reflector only. Sorry, no help though.

Found this on the How To section of the Online Imperial Club website:

Question from Jim (1968 side marker lights):

I'm going through the annual humbug of trying to get my '68 LeBaron through a safety inspection. I spent an hour today trying to get the bulb out of the side marker built into the front bumper. They're obviously set up differently than the rear marker lights, which simply plug in and out. I crawled underneath and spotted threads on the metal plug and finally managed with a pliers to get it to turn ... but then it just turned and turned and turned. So then I figured it had to pull it straight out somehow, but it wouldn't pull and I didn't want to break it. I couldn't spot any clips or anything that would suggest how it's secured in there.

Reply from Kate:

I have had these out on my Imperial, as the grounds were not working - they ground to the body through the casting of the light housing and the spring steel clip that holds them in. Take a stiff brush and clean the heck out of the backside around the point of entry through the body, then get a good light and take a look. The cast (zinc?) light housing had a flat metal slip-on clip, much like those holding rubber brake lines into those star brackets on the frame on GM cars and trucks. You should be able to tap the clip off and then the light comes out from the outside. It's a real neck-strainer to see up in there, though!

Hope this helps you, good luck.

Hey gang, anyone know how to remove the side marker bulbs for replacement on a '68 Newport?

Rear, inside the trunk move the cardboard out of the way and then take the large stamped tin nut off with pliers.

Front, is very similiar except much harder to get to from underneath the car.

Once the light is out of the car the part that holds the bulb screws out of the piece that is visible on the outside of the car when installed. I think I have one at home in spares box, but I don't know if I'll have time to get to it tonight to take a picture.

Carrman,
Here's some pictures and explanations.
This marker light is a front one, notice that the bezel that is visible on the bumper is tapered. Check which way the bezel goes before removing from the car. It's narrow towards the top.
IMG_6387.JPG

This pictures shows the sheet metal nut unscrewed and the shim that goes on before it.
IMG_6388.JPG

In this picture I've started to unscrew the bulb holder. The larger set of threads. Getting the holder to break loose can be a bit of a pain. This one actually cam loose easily, just be patient.
IMG_6389.JPG

The bulb holder is completely unscrewed. I bit crusty too. This ones a spare from a long gone car. Inside the bezel is a thin gray gasket.
IMG_6390.JPG

Here's a shot of the bulb holder. I would certainly clean this up a bunch if I was going to try to use it.
IMG_6391.JPG

I hope this helped.

John,you're lucky they came apart.
Up here in the Rust belt,normally the socket is fused with the housing,lol!
To ad insult to injury the bulb socket is rusted inside the socket itself.
Great pics and play by play BTW

Back