68' Newport Sportsgrain Convertible

Jon Nagy

Reaction score
Hello friends! I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I recently purchased my Grandfather's Newport and was wondering if anyone else out there is in the Newport family or more specifically, has or knows someone with Newport Sportsgrain. I was told at an AACA Nationals show that this model was rare, so I was hoping to learn more about what might be out there by joing this forum. Thanks in andavce for sharing information and knowledge you might have!

20230521_065736.jpg

Welcome, you came to the right place!

By all accounts there were 175 convertibles and 965 fast top cars that had the $126 Sportsgrain option. I have one also…

1685016520680.jpeg

1685016786849.jpeg

Mine went through a restoration in 2004. Yours looks to be in great original condition! Let’s hear more details on the car…

As I recall, the "Sportgrain" option was one of Chrysler's "Spring Special" additions which became available after Jaunary 1, 1968. By observation, as with the similar station wagon trim, it looked better with some colors than with others.

The Spring Special vehicle colors, special models, options, or optional equipment groupings were designed to be something new to bring customers into the showroom after the winter doldrums. This would partially explain the low production installation rates of this option. Another factor would be that "woodgrain" usually did not generally appear on anything except high-trim-model station wagons, although the earlier Chrysler Town and Country cars were not station wagons.

Your car looks great. Welcome to the forum. It's great that you desire to keep the car as great as it is.

Take care,
CBODY67

Thanks for the production numbers info @SGVert and thanks for tagging him @70NEWYORKER!

Some details... First off the car is all original. It has the 383 engine. All black interior with bench front seat, not the bucket seats. (I'll post pictures) I need to fix a small blemish in the woodgrain. Fortunately, my grandfather (who was it's previous owner) had found and purchased a roll of the original faux-woodgrain. BONUS! What else.... I am about to give her an under the hood makeover, complete with: manifold paint job, engine paint job, degreasing, retro Mopar battery kit upgrade, retro spark plug wire replacement, and retro hose clam replacement. All things I want to do to increase my odds of receiving my First Junior Award at the next AACA Nationals. I did just receive a Second Junior at the Gettysburg Nationals. I need to get new tires as well that are more period specific. If you have any specific questions shout them out.

What can you tell me about yours @SGVert ?

As I recall, the "Sportgrain" option was one of Chrysler's "Spring Special" additions which became available after Jaunary 1, 1968. By observation, as with the similar station wagon trim, it looked better with some colors than with others.

The Spring Special vehicle colors, special models, options, or optional equipment groupings were designed to be something new to bring customers into the showroom after the winter doldrums. This would partially explain the low production installation rates of this option. Another factor would be that "woodgrain" usually did not generally appear on anything except high-trim-model station wagons, although the earlier Chrysler Town and Country cars were not station wagons.

Your car looks great. Welcome to the forum. It's great that you desire to keep the car as great as it is.

Take care,
CBODY67
Excellent information! Thank you so much! I will continue to nudge her back to her original glory. If you read my most recent post I list some things I have planned for her. I feel right at home in the forum already. You guys are making my day with invaluable information.

God Bless,
@Jon Nagy

Here is my Sportgrain convertible, when I got it and after an unfortunate incident with a 'joisy' driver. I had a parts car that I was able to get all of the unique trim from, and also scored a set of correct woodgrain decals for the side.
As purchased it had a 383 2 bbl which I've upgraded to a 4bbl, black vinyl bench seat interior, and am/fm radio without much else. I live in Florida now so the black vinyl has got to go! I'm gonna redo the upholstery in white, but I think I'll do the carpet and dash in maroon so i can use the translucent red steering wheel and tilt-tele column I found. I also have a full set of power windows to go in, including the vents! The parts car also gave up a power bench seat but I'm not sure I want to add that.
Congratulations on your car! Your grandfather kept it in great shape. Good luck with it.
IMG_20200919_134434598~5.jpg
CAM00974.jpg

What can you tell me about yours @SGVert ?

I am the 3rd owner of my Newport. I purchased it from my Mom’s Aunt in 2000. It had been a Minnesota car it’s whole life. This was a sales bank car, scheduled build date was June 12, 1968. It did not get sold by the dealer until January 1969.

I drove it occasionally until 2003 when I decided to have it restored by a local shop in the Chicago suburbs. Paint was bubbling under the grain and I didn’t want the body to get any worse.

Here’s what it looked like when I bought it.

1685044518828.jpeg

1685044547230.jpeg

Engine bay looked like this:

1685044605095.jpeg

Continued…

Car was restored in about 8 months.
I had a very specific look in my mind for it so I did some modifications over stock to meet my vision…

I had the engine rebuilt from the stock 383 2bbl to a 4bbl using a stock cast iron manifold. Upgraded to electronic ignition as well. I changed the exhaust manifolds to the HP manifolds for ‘68. I also changed from single exhaust to a new TTI dual system with an H-pipe.
I did not like the factory wheels/covers so I replaced those with 15x7 Magnum 500’s with 235/75-15 tires with a modest whitewall to retain that look.

Changed out the carpet with original color replacement from ACC. Had only the inserts from each seat replaced. Convertible top is original to the car, still in great shape.

Woodgrain was replaced with an outdoor rated vinyl from Avery label . At the time, none of the vendors were stocking the original grain from 3M as 3M wanted the to adhere to a minimum stock level, which would have been over a 20 year supply for the vendors which was well beyond the rated shelf life. I’m glad it fell thru as I love the Avery Cheyenne Teak pattern I ended up using.

Below are some after pics…

1685045519358.jpeg

1685045545120.jpeg

1685045617148.jpeg

Hello friends! I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I recently purchased my Grandfather's Newport and was wondering if anyone else out there is in the Newport family or more specifically, has or knows someone with Newport Sportsgrain. I was told at an AACA Nationals show that this model was rare, so I was hoping to learn more about what might be out there by joing this forum. Thanks in andavce for sharing information and knowledge you might have!

View attachment 598701
Jon - it was great meeting you at the Gettysburg show, and congrats on your award. I was judging Saturday, and didn't get a chance to stop by where your car was. If you're coming to Carlisle, it will be in good company of other '65-'68 C-bodies (like my New Yorker, in the same color). Otherwise - is it me - or are a lot of these in gold?

Jon - it was great meeting you at the Gettysburg show, and congrats on your award. I was judging Saturday, and didn't get a chance to stop by where your car was. If you're coming to Carlisle, it will be in good company of other '65-'68 C-bodies (like my New Yorker, in the same color). Otherwise - is it me - or are a lot of these in gold?
It was great to meet you as well! I am working hard to have her ready for Carlisle in July and or Hershey in October. Would love to see more C-bodies in the '65-'68 years. There were not many in my class in Gettysburg. As far as the colors go, I have actually seen many different colors online when searching. But, I do see the "Sovereign Gold" out there! Send a picture of your New Yorker!

Here is my Sportgrain convertible, when I got it and after an unfortunate incident with a 'joisy' driver. I had a parts car that I was able to get all of the unique trim from, and also scored a set of correct woodgrain decals for the side.
As purchased it had a 383 2 bbl which I've upgraded to a 4bbl, black vinyl bench seat interior, and am/fm radio without much else. I live in Florida now so the black vinyl has got to go! I'm gonna redo the upholstery in white, but I think I'll do the carpet and dash in maroon so i can use the translucent red steering wheel and tilt-tele column I found. I also have a full set of power windows to go in, including the vents! The parts car also gave up a power bench seat but I'm not sure I want to add that.
Congratulations on your car! Your grandfather kept it in great shape. Good luck with it. View attachment 598752View attachment 598754
Sorry to hear about the joy riding excursion. She was really something in her prime! Thank you for sharing and thanks on the congrats. I will do my best to keep her clean and bring her back to her original glory.

Continued…

Car was restored in about 8 months.
I had a very specific look in my mind for it so I did some modifications over stock to meet my vision…

I had the engine rebuilt from the stock 383 2bbl to a 4bbl using a stock cast iron manifold. Upgraded to electronic ignition as well. I changed the exhaust manifolds to the HP manifolds for ‘68. I also changed from single exhaust to a new TTI dual system with an H-pipe.
I did not like the factory wheels/covers so I replaced those with 15x7 Magnum 500’s with 235/75-15 tires with a modest whitewall to retain that look.

Changed out the carpet with original color replacement from ACC. Had only the inserts from each seat replaced. Convertible top is original to the car, still in great shape.

Woodgrain was replaced with an outdoor rated vinyl from Avery label . At the time, none of the vendors were stocking the original grain from 3M as 3M wanted the to adhere to a minimum stock level, which would have been over a 20 year supply for the vendors which was well beyond the rated shelf life. I’m glad it fell thru as I love the Avery Cheyenne Teak pattern I ended up using.

Below are some after pics…

View attachment 598779

View attachment 598780

View attachment 598781
WOW! She sure is something now! I can't believe how clean and new it looks all around but especially under the hood. I just painted the engine and manifold as well as touching up some spots with the sovereign gold under the hood. I see you have the all black spark plugs. I have orange ones in now that I feel are not "period correct". Can you confirm or deny this? I think the rims look great, nice choice! Glad to hear the vert. top made it through unscathed. Your upgrades and vision are all understandable and practical. You have a great combination of classic originality meets modern look/practicality. Very impressed!!! Thank you so much for sharing!

Back