68 newport stereo removal

Biggredd2069

Reaction score
Every time I search for anything I get can't be found. Use error? Anyways I have a 68 newport with the stock am radio. Trying to figure out how to get the top dash off to remove. Can anyone help? Getting frustrated.

Actually, remove the glove box and go at it that way. Might need to remove the center slide-out compartment and the center a/c ducting, too.

With that peak in the middle, getting ANY aftermarket radio to fit as well as it would if that portion of the dash was FLAT can be an issue. In otherwords, it's NOT as easy as you might suspect AND have everything look right!

The factory AM/FM Multiplex had a dash unit, which connected to a remote power box that mounted near the spare tire, connected by a BIG RCA-plug cable. FOUR speakers, the front two at each corner of the instrument panel, surface mount of sorts. With the two rear 6x9s in the package tray. IF the car has the rear seat heater/defroster, one of the speaker holes is used as the air intake for that heater unit.

Then there's the case of the finish panel in that section of the instrument panel. It'll need to be modified/enlarged hole for the new radio's face plate to fit into. Again, notice the peak in it, plus the vertical slant!

Not that it can't be done, but it's not going to be easy to get it all looking decent. Back then, ONE radio fit the dash and that was it. The aftermarket radio market at that time was more into adding "FM converters" to existing AM radios.

It MAY be that Gary Tayman or Aurora Designs can modify your existing AM radio for AM/FM stereo. THAT might be your best option, after looking at the Aurora Designs website. IF he can do that, then all of the fitment issues would disappear! All you'd have to do is wire the speakers, very possibly!

You might be able to mount some 4x6 speakers in the kick panels, after you cut holes for them in the existing panels. Might need some metal reinforcements for the plastic panels! Would be easier than trying to duplicate the factory front speaker locations!

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Great. I'll explore the glove box removal. Done for tonight. Not sure I see the hump issues your referring to. The stereo is huge and seems like there is a ton of room, just a problem getting this bad boy out due to that metal frame. I have the convertible. I've only seen or heard one speaker, and it's next to the stereo in the dash. Gonna retro fit a whole system.

One speaker in the rear seat of a convertible is the speaker in the center of the rear seat back. The front 4"x10" front speaker is in the center. Rear speakers were option on the AM or AM/FM mono radios. I believe the factory multiplex/stereos just had the front speakers I mentioned. IF the car has a rear speaker, there would be an external fader for it, not a part of the radio as the '74 C-bodies were. '68-'73 used a separate rear speaker fader, even on the factory multiplex/stereo radios.

Front speakers were: 2 3.5" speakers, one at the base of the A-pillars on top of the dash panel. Plus the 1 4"x10" center speaker. ALL three speakers worked.

When I found the '68 multiplex radio at Mopar Nats, about 30 years ago (now), it had ALL of the pieces, including the face plate that surrounded the radio. Plus the rear "box and cable". All I needed to do was get it wired in for the speakers and such. Plus removing the interior trim to run that cable to the trunk area. After I saw what was involved, I decided to wait for a better time, later on. Still waiting . . .

Make it look like it came in it!

CBODY67

this is great info. Hard finding good information on this car. I didn't notice any speakers by the a pillar but now I'll look again when I have daylight. Not looking forward to daylight savings time here to lose additional day time.

Just replaced my radio and speakers in the spring. The glove box removal is the way to go. Just be advised that they are very brittle. My glovebox literally disintegrated when removed, but I got a repop from Legendary Interiors. There are others out there, you can shop around. I had the AM/FM seek and search radio, which I saved for a future rebuild by Gary. I installed a Retrosound Am/FM w/ Bluetooth. It is a fine radio, but as stated above, the angled bezel is a pain with the volume and tuner shafts.

Thanks for the notices about the glove box. Mine is very brittle and the hole for the light is crumbling. I plan to put a modern stereo in and just cut the bezel to size. Thought about it and decided isn't worth it to me to keep the full classic look. I'll follow up on here soon when I get started

image.jpeg
FThe Retrosound radio quality is fine, but I am posting before and after pictures for you to decide if the look is for you. I did not want to alter the faceplate/bezel. So placing the mounting plate on the outside of the bezel worked for the shafts. It just didn't look good when placed on the correct inside position. I wanted music for the summer and didn't want to wait for a rebuild. Lesson learned. I am not a big fan of non-stock look, so when I get some extra $ , I will send the original out for a rebuild.
image.jpeg

I did this removal a long time ago and if I remember correctly the you need to remove the ashtray, heat controls, AC duct if your car has it. The radio comes out by taking it down through the dash. Back in the 90's I put a single din radio in a 68 NYer. I had to slightly file the edges of the dash for it to fit. Then I installed another cover plate over it. It didn't look bad at all. I'm not into, and never have been, altering things that cannot be put back to original.

I'll look into whether going from the bottom is a better idea. Either way looks like open heart surgery. Hopefully by end of next week I can report back

Here's an older thread from the dry dock:

Forum - C-Body DryDock

I didn't remove the glove box. If you follow the FSM instructions, it's involved but pretty straightforward.

Take some patience pills, there is a lot of brittle stuff behind the dash.

Hope the input helps.

John

Yes, I had to take some patience pills last night. Kept dropping either my screw or flash light while working in the dark. I'll take more before next attempt

Ugh. I wonder if it's really even possible to get this stereo out. I don't see how to get the glove box out and I can't figure out getting the damn tray coin ash tray out either.

20181115_114404.jpg

Just a thought.... Can you take the top panel off, remove the speaker and reach down through there?

Ugh. I wonder if it's really even possible to get this stereo out. I don't see how to get the glove box out and I can't figure out getting the damn tray coin ash tray out either.

View attachment 229659

Do you have an FSM? It's helpful with this task.

The ashtray/center drawer has to be removed, then the housing for it is secured with a few screws.

Disconnect the lighting for the trays and the lighter wiring from the housing and it will come out.

My memory if failing me right now, but there may be a spring tab to press down/up at the rear of the center compartment that will allow the unit to come out of the housing.

I can look tomorrow to confirm if you need it.

Also, if you unfasten the heater control from the dash and tie it out of the way, it makes everything easier.

Complete removal isn't necessary, but more space to work is always better.

Slow and steady wins the race.

No fsm. Took the screws out from below the tray but have no idea from there. I don't see how the top dash comes apart, taking the drawer out still seems like you still need to take half the car apart. Which might be the reality?

Think . . . sub-assemblies. One sub-assembly is the center coin holder/ash tray drawer, for example. NOTHING comes out through the top, all through the bottom.

There should be a back brace that attaches to the radio chassis. It helps support and locate the radio, PLUS being a chassis ground for it, too. Might be some attachments on the side, too.

Carefully remove the glove box item, too. Unhook the related light and such, too. That'll give you visual access for the side of the chassis.

Just some thought,
CBODY67

No fsm. Took the screws out from below the tray but have no idea from there. I don't see how the top dash comes apart, taking the drawer out still seems like you still need to take half the car apart. Which might be the reality?

Get a FSM. They are free. Down load today. Save some time don’t break Sh$&. MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - Service Manuals
What are you going to do with your original radio? Is the chrome still good on the thumb wheels or are they starting to peel? I could be interested if you are looking to get rid of it. As mine are peeling

Get a FSM. They are free. Down load today. Save some time don’t break Sh$&. MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - Service Manuals
What are you going to do with your original radio? Is the chrome still good on the thumb wheels or are they starting to peel? I could be interested if you are looking to get rid of it. As mine are peeling

Thanks for posting that link. Only thing is there are no '67 or '68 Chrysler FSMs listed, unfortunately.

I'd downloaded the '67 parts book from there, but the "breakdown" picture of the I/P just shows parts, which is not much help as to what attaches and where.

CBODY67

Back