Status
Not open for further replies.

Ross Wooldridge

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Contact seller
Hi Y'all,

I have been looking into doing shoulder belt setups on my 66 cars with factory parts from a 68 car. I drive my cars enough that with today's traffic density, using just a lap belt is asking for trouble in the case of an accident.

Some time ago I had a few emails/conversations with a member here. For the life of me I can't find any record of those conversations, except for a 1/2 dozen pics he sent me.

So... does anyone have a factory 1968 C body 4 door wagon/sedan and a 2 door hardtop setup that they'd be willing to sell me if I can determine if I can make it work?

It's my understanding that in 68 the setup was a 3 belt system, with the shoulder belt attaching to a special clip combined with the lap belt portion. When not in use the shoulder belt was stored up along the roof line with a clip that the shoulder belt's buckle latched onto at the sunvisor, and the loose strap material was held in place with a couple of wire clips so it wouldn't hang down into the side window area. Am I correct? Can anybody provide clear pictures of this setup?

I need pictures of the shoulder belt setup as it is STOWED, as well as clear pictures of the buckle arrangement down at the lap belt, close to the centre hump. I'd be ecstatic if someone could get pictures of how the shoulder belt is anchored to the roof - under the headliner there has to be some sort of nut welded to the roof rail frame, no?

Anybody?

Thanks!

Must have been a common system as Lee, my former 1973 had the front shoulder belts stored above the doors.

73 was the last year for the separate belts. Formals came with a different system, which had the shoulder and lap belt as one unit per each side.
The top pic is from a 74 factory manual (Hamtramck-historical.com) and the green parts belong to Impster. Behing the rear mounting bolt there´s a coat hook.

74_Imperial_0017.jpg

5 022.jpg

Imp 12.1..2019 024.jpg

Imp 12.1..2019 027.jpg

Keep in mind that the original style shoulder belts have a FIXED adjustment, so once it is on there is no movement, you can't even reach the radio.
I had them on my 73 Barracuda, used them on a couple road trips but gave up because of the hassle, they even made it difficult to do a blind-spot check.
Loosening them just defeats the purpose.

Alan

Here is on in a 69 Polara.
In 69 there was a second tab attached to the lap belt. I believe you are correct that in 68 it was a separate belt.
2009-11-21_50.jpg

2009-11-21_50.jpg

Alan

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back