68 Sport Fury 4 speed

Commandough

Reaction score
Anyone done any digging to find out production numbers for a 4 speed 1968 Sport Fury? I'm sure there were several built but I wonder how many were special ordered with an L Code 440 HP plus power disc brakes and a sure grip? Also no A/C. The current owner is dropping this off to the new owner (me) tonight and short of consulting Mr. Govier I would have to guess this is a low production option list. Be a whole lot cooler if the motor and trans were in the car but I don't think $300 would cover that. Thank in advance for any lead that might help.
00G0G_1DIAqiL99jz_1200x900.jpg

Anyone done any digging to find out production numbers for a 4 speed 1968 Sport Fury? I'm sure there were several built but I wonder how many were special ordered with an L Code 440 HP plus power disc brakes and a sure grip? Also no A/C. The current owner is dropping this off to the new owner (me) tonight and short of consulting Mr. Govier I would have to guess this is a low production option list. Be a whole lot cooler if the motor and trans were in the car but I don't think $300 would cover that. Thank in advance for any lead that might help.View attachment 114634

Cool car and quite rare. I know a guy that has the same car in convertible form, same color too.

Mr. Govier, knows and cares little about C-Bodies. He will tell you what he doesn't know for a fee though.

The common number is 10% of total production, but that is an estimate at best.

Go to your public library, (the greatest public use of any tax dollars) and request a copy of the 1968 Wards Automotive Year Book. If they don't have it in your library, they should be able to order you a copy from a library that does. FREE of charge.

This is where the "new" data on production numbers is coming from in the collector car world.

It's lists production build numbers with options for the major auto manufactures. You may not find this information elsewhere. It may have the total production numbers for manual Plymouth Sport Furies, but not with engine size. I haven't looked for awhile, so I can't remember the exact break down. But I was amazed by the information that was there.

You could write your own book on production numbers from the data in Wards,....as others have.

Cool car,......

:thumbsup:Very cool find,Congrats!

Very cool car....I'd say a 440/4spd with sure grip rear would be a rare combo. The power discs and a 4spd is a super rare combo in of itself.

Nice find! I always wondered what it would be like going through the gears in a 375 hp 440 in one of these. I'm thinking FUN! Fury Pursuit is correct about Galen Govier not caring too much about our beloved C bodies. About the 4 speed, if it was an early build date it would have an Inland shifter. A later build date would have a Hurst. Ma Mopar switched half way through the production year. 4 speed C-bodies are fairly rare, let alone one with an L code 440, Sure Grip & disc brakes. Quite a score my friend. Keep us posted on the progress. C-bodies, go fast in comfort.

Last edited:
69 Monaco,
that's what i found too on a 2011 Mecum posting - 38. So I was thinking the other options have to put it in the 10's, maybe. Should be here in about an hour. Seller is trailering it on his way through. Thanks so far to everyone posting responses for info on this car.

almost 20 hours later and no car and will not return my call or texts. I hate when that happens. Somebody else must have gotten wind and snaked me. What a mess!!

Yeah, I thinks it 1-800-438-2368. Actually, I did finally hear something and now I'm just waiting again for whenever it can be dropped off. The rear end is a real sticking point right now as he says he needs it even though I've offered $100 over his asking price plus a set of 70 Fury Axels, a 489 with 2.76, and even threw in a Sure Grip as a possible bargaining chip. I need it to roll and he wants the rear so we do the dance and hopefully I end up with 4 wheels and not 2. I bet I looked pretty pathetic to my wife as I stared down the road waiting for the car to arrive last night. HaHa!

That Car looks pretty Damn Cool just sitting there.

What are your plans for it?

Sounds strange to me also, seller should have mentioned needing the rear axle when doing the deal, but i guess they're out there and hopefully you get it, but if not at least you'll have most of the car - the forum guys can assist with parts and advice.

Good luck with it.

Yeah, it's a bad vibe because I can't believe anything is actually going to happen until it's done. Not much for now other than clean it out, get a better assessment of what I have, do some research, figure out what I'm willing to part off of my 68 III, and start saving up money for that Dana 53 I've heard about. This is a big part of what makes this fun, hunting for the elusive stuff.

And that reminds me, I was having a hell of a time finding out what the 3 in the 38 under AX on the fender tag was for. 8 is Sure grip and the 3 kept coming up UNKNOWN. The 3 is the Dana 53, with 3.54 I'm guessing. You guys may have already known that but it's not easily found online.

what does he need the Dana 53 for? It is for C-bodies only

It is not for B&E Bodys.
You should let him know in case he doesn't know that

99% sure the Dana is gone - it's an 8 3/4 now so not sure what the attraction is but I have crazy ideas all the time too so to each his own...

Nice find! I always wondered what it would be like going through the gears in a 375 hp 440 in one of these. I'm thinking FUN!

I can't speak to the 440, but it's fun rowing even the most exhausted of 383s.

Full disclosure: This picture was taken by the PO. I'm not responsible for the upholstery, the unkempt floor, or the embroidery. Also, the Inland had to go.
IMG_1079.JPG

IF it were me I wouldn't waste my time with the Dana 53....grab a Dana 60 out of a dodge pre-90 dodge ram or ram van and have it cleaned up and shortened. Will have an HD axle you'll never kill, easy to find parts and a selection of gear ratios. ;)

Really hope this deal falls into line for you...guy sounds shifty.

Back