68 Sport Fury Grill Resto - Blackout Locations

clair.davis

Reaction score
OK, so I'm in need of a good go-by photo of a correct 68 Sport Fury grille so I can get the front end of my car looking like it should. My grille was almost certainly taken from the Fury III that donated the hood & fender for the previous-owner's repair. Specifically, I'm looking for what the little vertical tabs around the upper grill opening should look like - some are bright, and some are blacked out. Here's the grill as I got it:
68_Sport_Fury_V-45-03 by clair_davis, on Flickr

I'm aware that the center horizontal fins need to be fully blacked out, but I have seen the little vertical tabs blacked out every other one (like mine), and also with all of them natural & bright like this one:
68_Sport_Fury_Grille_Detail-07 by clair_davis, on Flickr\

I'm guessing that the alternating vertical blackout situation is what came on the Fury I-II-III cars, and the all-natural situation is what came on the Sport Fury and VIP trim cars... is that right? If not, what should I be shooting for?

THanks!

Clair

OK, so I'm in need of a good go-by photo of a correct 68 Sport Fury grille so I can get the front end of my car looking like it should. My grille was almost certainly taken from the Fury III that donated the hood & fender for the previous-owner's repair. Specifically, I'm looking for what the little vertical tabs around the upper grill opening should look like - some are bright, and some are blacked out. Here's the grill as I got it:
68_Sport_Fury_V-45-03 by clair_davis, on Flickr

I'm aware that the center horizontal fins need to be fully blacked out, but I have seen the little vertical tabs blacked out every other one (like mine), and also with all of them natural & bright like this one:
68_Sport_Fury_Grille_Detail-07 by clair_davis, on Flickr\

I'm guessing that the alternating vertical blackout situation is what came on the Fury I-II-III cars, and the all-natural situation is what came on the Sport Fury and VIP trim cars... is that right? If not, what should I be shooting for?

THanks!

Clair

Hope this helps - the grille is original and has not been restored.
left front.JPG

Perfect! What a great looking car! But boy-howdy, that's a lot of Sunfire Yellow... that is Sunfire, isn't it?

So, all of the verticals are brite, and the full horizontal "rectangle" area appears to float in a blackened area. I think I can make that happen without a lot of stress.

Thanks for a great pic!

Clair

SF launching at LVD 2015.jpg
Clair,

If you need a close-up photo, let me know.

It's not Sunfire yellow. It is the '68 yellow-gold color, HH1. It is a much lighter yellow than Sunfire yellow but depending on how the light hits the car it can look brighter. It is painted the exact factory yellow (done in 1998) and it is an early build stripe delete car. It looks a little different today and now has a 520" big block under the hood that looks like a stock 440.

Bill

Thanks, guys, those are great examples - and superfragl, your photo answers a question I was about to ask... related to the end of the grille where it mates to the headlight bezels, the I-II-III grilles are black, and the SF grilles are clearly brite-finished. Makes for the last vertical tab from a visual perspective at least. Good to know!

And Bill, that car is even more awesome as a sleeper... great stuff right there! Can you hook it up at all with those narrow tires?

View attachment 122246 Clair,

If you need a close-up photo, let me know.

It's not Sunfire yellow. It is the '68 yellow-gold color, HH1. It is a much lighter yellow than Sunfire yellow but depending on how the light hits the car it can look brighter. It is painted the exact factory yellow (done in 1998) and it is an early build stripe delete car. It looks a little different today and now has a 520" big block under the hood that looks like a stock 440.

Bill
HH1 Light gold. That was the color of my 68 Monaco. It had a dark gold dash, steering wheel and carpets but the headliner, seats and panels were a similar light gold .. so nice to ride in on a sunny day.

Thanks, guys, those are great examples - and superfragl, your photo answers a question I was about to ask... related to the end of the grille where it mates to the headlight bezels, the I-II-III grilles are black, and the SF grilles are clearly brite-finished. Makes for the last vertical tab from a visual perspective at least. Good to know!

And Bill, that car is even more awesome as a sleeper... great stuff right there! Can you hook it up at all with those narrow tires?

Nope, can't hook up with G70/15 bias redlines. The bias ply tires hook up better than radials but the car will easily smoke the tires at least half way down the quarter if launched aggressively with the pedal held to the floor. Still learning the best way to launch it, which usually involves rolling away from the tree with part throttle and then flooring it. I have some suspension work to do to get it to hook better. Best time so far was a 13.45 with some traction issues and a piece of junk torque converter. I have a new custom built torque converter in the car now and am sure that it will improve the ET but probably also make traction more of a problem.

Back