'68 Sport Fury - Worth Saving?

wish4hemi

Reaction score
I was offered this '68 Sport Fury by way of "if you can haul it, you can have it." I don't own any C-bodies, so I figured I would post some pictures here to see if anything there is worth saving. Looks like it's a 318 automatic, 8-3/4 rear, buckets with buddy seat, power steering, drum brakes. Very rusty. No title.

Is it worth dragging out of the woods? It's going to take some effort to dig it out of the mud but, if I could part it out and recoup some $, I'd take the plunge.

IMG_0622.JPG

IMG_0623.JPG

IMG_0624.JPG

IMG_0629.JPG

IMG_0630.JPG

IMG_0621.JPG

Factory AC dash...Bucket seat cores and seat tracks if they are not rotted....right outside mirror..deluxe 3 spoke steering wheel..
Not a whole lot to save on the poor girl.

Lots of little parts, chrome trim ,buddy seat , interior parts, 8 3/4 rear, trans,driveshaft,glass,ect.
You can part it out at reasonable prices and make some money for your effort
If you get it I would be interested in the fender mounted turn signals.

I agree. Lots of misc stuff that can be sold or used for trade stock if you don't need it. The price is right!

Might need some additional care in extracting it, looking at the amount of rear window area that's not there. Plus the open windows, too. That water had to go somewhere. Remember, it's a "unit body" car. A "frame" car might not have those body structure issues from water.

A good amount of good stuff there, once it's cleaned up, I suspect.

OR it could become your auto shop project where you perfect your fab and braze activities.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

. Very rusty. No title.

Is it worth dragging out of the woods? It's going to take some effort to dig it out of the mud but, if I could part it out and recoup some $, I'd take the plunge.
Question, have you tried to scrap a car without a title in recent history? The scrap dealers can be tough to deal with about this, due to whatever pressure they get from the state. For the handful of reusable parts and the large number of cores which may or may not have value... you'll probably want to know if you can get rid of the rest as a single chunk vs having to cut it into bite sized pieces to appease your local market.

Also, as pointed out earlier, there is a tendency to tear the car in half while pulling it out of the mud... it could be a lot more work than you're thinking to free her. Free+ labor+ hassle= more than I usually would want to take on, unless there was something I really wanted on her.

Ultra rare passenger swivel seat base.

Jeff nailed it. Respect the dead and leave it. You could be really screwed trying to get rid of it.

Your wife will kill you if show up with that thing. :eek:

Same steering wheel as my 68 New Yorker (and also cracked in three spots, just like my NYer)

Also looks like those are leather seats? (and the swivel passenger seat thing would neat to put to use)

Not sayin those things make it and more or less worthwhile, just pointing out some things that I find interesting.

I would say "grab it" but that's just how I am, I hate to see something like that go to waste if it could be useful to someone at some time.

If you have space for it and are up for a challenge, then grab it and part it.

As mentioned, the scrap dealers can be onerous to deal with. They do NOT want to buy something that might have been reported stolen, or anything like that. They have records to keep for their respective state of where the car came from and such.

SO, document your agreement with the current "holder" of where HE got the car and any other history it might have had before that. Something to show the salvage people when the time might come. You might also run the VIN through the local DMV for any registration history, too, for good measure (another document to show/give the scrap dealer).

Is that rh swivel seat akin to the Imperial Mobile Director Option rh seat? Never knew it existed anywhere other than in an Imperial. Dodges too, if it's in a Plymouth?

What about if you get a list of what you might want to re-sell off of the car. Things that bolt-on, for example, and then strip it where it is. For that privilege, your can pay the current holder "something"? Better rent a U-Haul box truck to put it all into!

Rather than try to extract it like a stuck tooth, you might need to do some shovel action in the direction the (re-aired up) tires will travel. Then maybe put some wide boards in those trenches to ease the removal?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

The passenger seat is just unbolted and tossed into the car. The swivel seat option comment was a joke.

If the rocker panel moldings are in good shape, which is unlikely, they would probably be the most valuable parts on the car.
Straight bumpers for cores are getting harder to find and probably worth $50 each. Not a lot here but if you can dispose of the car it might be worth dragging it home.

And I am one of the people who might be interested in the rocker panel moldings if they are in good shape. Mine have a few bumps and bruises on them after almost 52 years, especially the left (passenger) side, which is pretty rough at the back. If the ones on this car are decent and the price is fair I would be interested in them.

I'm in the camp with CBARGE. This car is rusty and heavy, and probably doesn't roll. Just getting it to your house is gonna be a bit of effort. Then after it's stripped, you'd have to have it towed to the metal yard, or cut it up. Steel is very low now, so you might not even get enough for the hulk to cover the tow, and especially your time cutting it up. AMS has all those parts by the hundreds.

Back