68 T/C wagon updates....

thrashingcows

Reaction score
I installed a new Hayden clutch Fan...this is the HD version. It definitely pulls more air all the time, and is a bit noisier, but no where near as load as the solid mount fan.

And I'm installing one of these...picked it up today.

Going to install another rebuilt TQ carb I have on the shelf as well, and hope my stumbling issue goes away. If not, then I will rebuild the TQ that is currently on the motor and try that.

I have 2 weeks to get this sorted out before we use the wagon on our yearly vacation.

Ok so last weekend I swapped out the mid 70's cast spread bore intake for my new Eddy performer. Once the intake was off I saw a couple issue.

And now I understand why my oil always smelled so cooked!

New intake going on....

I swapped out the original big block 71 intake bolts for a set of mid 70's small block units. I like the small block bolts because they have a captured washer on them, so it will help protect the aluminum intake.

I had to tweak the throttle bracket to work with the slightly taller manifold runners, and runner profile. I had to drill the hole to attach to the intake bigger, and also bend the tang that rest against the runner. And I had to re-route the vacuum line from the intake to the booster, since it's on the other side of the motor now. Other then that it was a fairly painless job.

Didn't rebuild the carb, just cleaned it with some carb cleaner, checked a few of the measurements and settings, and popped it back on, changed the fuel filter as well. Car runs and drives great. No more stumbling!

Yesterday my neighbour and I had a bunch of tires and rims swapped around. I needed new tires for the wagon...the 10 year old tires on the wagon were getting hard as hockey pucks, with no wet weather traction. He had a nice set of 225/70/15 BFG's on his 63 Impala, only about 2 years old and probably 1K miles. He had bought two bigger 245/70/15's for the rear and wanted a pair of 225/60/15's for the front. So I made a deal that I would buy the new front tires, and he would then give me the 4 old BFG's. Worked out well for everyone!

On our way to our tire guy. He's a retired car guy with his own tire machine and does this on the side (cheap) for car money. We had 11 tires and 9 rims that had to be swapped around.

And the tires back on.

I absolutely love it!
My first car was a 68 Town & Country wagon. My second was a 71 Chrysler 300 4 door hardtop. Just like you I liked the wagon better, even back then.

So last week we went on our annual 1000+ mile roadtrip/vacation in the wagon.

Here is the cache of spare trouble shooting parts I bring with me every year...spare starter, alternator, clutch fan, water pump, fuel pump, AC idler, all fluids, silicone, old panty hose, spare wire and connectors, tape etc....and a ton of tools. ;)

New tires worked well, car rode a lot smoother then before. Taken around Lytton at a rest area.

Trip went well. Went through a lot of rain and dirty road construction. Stopping for lunch break on the way back, can't beat tailgate down and just chilling.

And this pic was taken in Yale BC on the run back. Rebuilt tranny performed flawlessly, but the slightly smaller diameter tires caused a couple hundred RPM jump in cruising speed. I'm considering the A833OD swap?

Wagon performed well, did not use a drop of oil on the drive up, nor did the oil change color...nice and clear. But just before getting to our destination I noticed the tone of the motor changed. It then started to use oil, and the oil began to darken. I have a feeling that the intake lost it's seal again around the exhaust cross over ports. I'm wondering if those "lightly used" rebuilt heads I bought for the motor were shaved and the intake is not sealing properly because of that?

Anyone know how to determine if the heads have been shaved down?

I see you have the sanden compressor swap. How do you like it? Worth the trouble?

The car is looking great!

Back