68Nwprt's Engine Build

68Nwprt

Reaction score
I know you guy's and gal's like pictures, so here are a few after removing the engine this morning. 440 going to get freshened up with new heads,rings, bearings, cam, lifters, timing chain, and gasket set and oil pump. Wish me luck. As always your help and advice would be greatly appreciated.Thanks.

HPIM1088.jpg
HPIM1094.jpgHPIM1089.jpg
HPIM1096.jpg

HPIM1088.jpg

HPIM1094.jpg

HPIM1089.jpg

HPIM1096.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't think of a better way to put some money back into the economy. Let's hear some details on the build.

I can't think of a better way to put some money back into the economy. Let's hear some details on the build.

Engine block is pretty much stock bore and it's in good shape so...what I would like to do is hoan and built to or as close to TNT specs as I can. But we'll se after closer inspection. So far I have a rebuilt set of 452 heads, new timing set . comp cam and lifters as I can remember been a while since I did my research 268 110* w/.454 int and exh lift, which should be fairly close to stock tnt. Moly rings Sealed power rod and crank bearings not purchased yet as I haven't taken measurements. Nice to get away from body work and get into some mechanicals for a change.

I am rebuilding a 440 as well. Just started disassembly. I need to hone out ring ridges too, or just rebore and buy new pistons. New pistons is a big financial hit. I was thinking of a comp cam too, but with higher than stock lift. Comp Cams kitwith 224/230 duration at .050 inch and .477/.480 inch lift (PN 21-223-4). Look forward to hearing how your build goes.

DSCN9372.jpg

DSCN9372.jpg

Comp Cams kitwith 224/230 duration at .050 inch and .477/.480 inch lift (PN 21-223-4
I used that exact same cam. I was very unhappy with it.
I felt no huge benefit at the low or high end.
I had a tough time to get it to pull adequate vacuum at idle.
It's a very noisy cam. Not just me but I heard that over and over.
Finally, no improvement in fuel mileage.

Very nice shop and good luck with the rebuild.

Is that a winch/electric motor driven cherry picker I see there ;) Pretty cool.

details please .. looks interesting

attachment.php

It belongs to my neighbor. He's got it rigged up with the winch. It's purpose is to aid someone doing an engine install alone. I was skeptical at first. Actually works good.

Thanks for the update, and pics. Looking forward to following your newport rebuild.

Your welcome. I'm looking forward to seeing it go back together with the new parts. Hopefully by this weekend it will be dis-assembled and I will be able to order the rings and bearings.

Looks like a great project, good luck with it! And damn, that's a nice looking shop! Seems to be a good place to do effective work!

Thanks. Here is a quick update. Did manage to get some work done yesterday. Not sure if I'm into it today.

This little brother has seen better days.
HPIM1112.jpg
HPIM1117.jpgHPIM1119.jpgHPIM1120.jpg

Now onto all the cleaning which I'm not looking forward to.

HPIM1112.jpg

HPIM1117.jpg

HPIM1119.jpg

HPIM1120.jpg

My original choice was a Lunati cam, but I bought a single bolt timing set and then realized that the Lunati cams are all three bolt. At least the ones I saw.:BangHead:

Commando 1, which cam do you recommend/ have good feedback on? Just curious, I often build engines on paper/ in my head for when my stock engines eventually need it.

I read the dragzine article. It was interesting.
I was going to try Comp because it's made in USA and their cams seem to be used successfully by Mopar Muscle Authors.
I will admit, I haven't used a Comp before.
Commando 1, it would be nice to get some specs on the engine where the Comp was such a spectacular failure. Was it a street engine? What cam did you replace the Comp unit with and did that fix the problem?
Also, has anyone here had a good experience with a Comp cam in a street application, 9:1 to 9.5:1 compression, 906 heads?

What cam did you replace the Comp unit with and did that fix the problem?
It was a mild built 44O.
After about 1,000 miles on it, I decided to stretch its legs.
Approaching 5,000 RPM, armedgedon time.
On teardown, the cam was in smithereens near the distributer drive.
Also the #1 con rod let go, twisted and jammed.
Produced some new water passages in the process which trashed the block.
The above are the facts.
Below are the theories.
I had heard and continually hear from guys (on line and in person) with 440s who installed new Comp Cams had cam failure in the first 1,000 miles.
We all compared break in procedure and all were done properly.
Also, in 3 builds, Comp Cams in all of them, valve train noise sounded like rocks crushing. Many people told me Comp Cams were very noisy because of there ramp angles or some crap like that.
The valve train noise was alarming to me but the old , That's normal for...
Well, ok....

Now, about the cin rod. I used the old con rod bolts. Did they let go, the con rod, twist up, jam the rotating train and snap the cam? I don't know. That is a plausible theory.
It is a chicken or the egg situation. Which caused what?

Bottom lime. I am never using comp cams again, at the very least because of their noise, reputation, and history, AND after that I always used ARP bolts.

There's eveyything. You can go from there.

I'm using the old .484 purple shaft cam and think its fine. Nice lope, slightly bump in power and I think my mileage might have actually improved.

Back