SOLD 69 440 HP engine.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a bunch of crap.
Used 440's are geting 350 - 400 and 727's another 150 tops.
And what's this BS about numbers matching? Out of the car, HTF can an engine by itself be numbers matching????

Sent using Forum Runner

What a bunch of crap.
Used 440's are geting 350 - 400 and 727's another 150 tops.
And what's this BS about numbers matching? Out of the car, HTF can an engine by itself be numbers matching????

Sent using Forum Runner
His ad is misleading when he states the engine is "correct" for all those 69 cars. I think in 69 Ma Mopar starting matching a portion of the VIN to the #'s stamped on the block. So the fact that this is numbers matching engine to a particular 69 300 is less than useless information. Pre-69 that wasn't the case so all you needed to look for was the build date on the block to make your roller "numbers matching".

His ad is misleading when he states the engine is "correct" for all those 69 cars. I think in 69 Ma Mopar starting matching a portion of the VIN to the #'s stamped on the block. So the fact that this is numbers matching engine to a particular 69 300 is less than useless information.

I think the point is that the engine and trans have been together since the car was built. If not going into the original then it is "useless" info. It is still the "correct" engine/trans as used in all Plymouth, Dodge, chrysler 440HP applications and would be useful to someone missing their original powertrain.

No matter what it came out of or going in to ...it's still not worth $2500 as a"buildable core".

His ad is misleading when he states the engine is "correct" for all those 69 cars. I think in 69 Ma Mopar starting matching a portion of the VIN to the #'s stamped on the block. So the fact that this is numbers matching engine to a particular 69 300 is less than useless information. Pre-69 that wasn't the case so all you needed to look for was the build date on the block to make your roller "numbers matching".

Pre '67 I believe... I believe the VINs were stamped on the block and the transmission cases starting in '67.

No matter what it came out of or going in to ...it's still not worth $2500 as a"buildable core".

I had a guy come to my house apparently to BS one afternoon, and then called me the next evening asking what the VIN# was on my '69 Charger R/T that I bought from him some 20 years earlier. He then commented on how much just a complete '69 HP 440 core was worth, claiming about $1000. He then stated that he had the original numbers matching engine that was from my car, dissassembled years earlier, but included the HP manifolds and even the original AVS, and also with the #s matching 727.

He told me he wanted $1500, and it was part of a package deal with a '70 Charger 500 for $3,500 and he wanted the car. He downplayed the condition of the car, anytime he wasn't raving about how much more that my car would be worth with the original drivetrain. This is a guy that has claimed to be a friend since grade school. Luckily I have many good friends that don't take advantage of people to benifit themselves.

I agreed to the deal on the condition that he throw in a 3 spoke steering wheel for my '68 300 and nice rear bumpers for my Ramcharger and my pickup. He agreed, as he needed my money to complete the deal before it was sold to the next person in line, and there evidently was a line, as he noted if he wasn't able to get the Charger, the engine would also be gone.

I found out later from a better friend that the car was overall pretty decent, very solid and easily worth $4,500, that he had put out $2,000 for.

BTW, this was on the same farm that he bought my '69 R/T from many, many moons ago.

Hey Bob, the '70 Charger and the engine were hidden away in a.... BARN.

Last edited:
I think the point is that the engine and trans have been together since the car was built. If not going into the original then it is "useless" info. It is still the "correct" engine/trans as used in all Plymouth, Dodge, chrysler 440HP applications and would be useful to someone missing their original powertrain.

Maybe if your definition of the term "correct" is correct :sFun_doh2: but in my experience "correct" and "numbers matching" are used loosely and interchangably. Why not avoid confusion and just say the original motor out of a 69 300 and leave it at that?

I had a guy come to my house apparently to BS one afternoon, and then called me the next evening asking what the VIN# was on my '69 Charger R/T that I bought from him some 20 years earlier. He then commented on how much just a complete '69 HP 440 core was worth, claiming about $1000. He then stated that he had the original numbers matching engine that was from my car, dissassembled years earlier, but included the HP manifolds and even the original AVS, and also with the #s matching 727.

He told me he wanted $1500, and it was part of a package deal with a '70 Charger 500 for $3,500 and he wanted the car. He downplayed the condition of the car, anytime he wasn't raving about how much more that my car would be worth with the original drivetrain. This is a guy that has claimed to be a friend since grade school. Luckily I have many good friends that don't take advantage of people to benifit themselves.

I agreed to the deal on the condition that he throw in a 3 spoke steering wheel for my '68 300 and nice rear bumpers for my Ramcharger and my pickup. He agreed, as he needed my money to complete the deal before it was sold to the next person in line, and there evidently was a line, as he noted if he wasn't able to get the Charger, the engine would also be gone.

I found out later from a better friend that the car was overall pretty decent, very solid and easily worth $4,500, that he had put out $2,000 for.

BTW, this was on the same farm that he bought my '69 R/T from many, many moons ago.

Hey Bob, the '70 Charger and the engine were hidden away in a.... BARN.

:sSig_lol3:

I'll have to sharpen my recon skills and take a spotter scope with me on my Sunday morning country recon missions.

"Tribute car"..........um, "fake" car.

A "fake" car....? What is that....? Never seen a "fake" car....... Perhaps your refering to a misrepresented car... But then a tribute car is just that.... One that is built to someones "back in the day" dream car..... One they wished they could have ordered new, with the intention of enjoying the car.... Not fooling someone.

When these guys with their "Tribute Cars' go to car shows, they never open their mouth about it not being the real thing.
They get a woody just sitting by the car and listening to the 15 year old pizza faces go "oh wow, that is awesome, man..."
Perhaps an "illusion car' is more fitting? I still like using the term "fake".

Last edited:
When these guys with their "Tribute Cars' go to car shows, they never open their mouth about it not being the real thing.
They get a woody just sitting by the car and listening to the 15 year old pizza faces go "oh wow, that is awesome, man..."

Commando nailed right on the head. I'm seeing more and more "tribute cars" on CL and to a lesser extend ON E-bay. The term "Tribute" is just a pleasant term to get around the word "fake"...It's a slippery slope.

I disagree.........no big surprise there huh? A tribute car can be done tastefully and has been. I have also seen many of these cars with boards in front of them declaring what they are, usually " this is the car I would have ordered new if I could have" or "If they made one I would have wanted it this way" Its usually the clone cars that get passed off as a fake.

I disagree.........no big surprise there huh? A tribute car can be done tastefully and has been. I have also seen many of these cars with boards in front of them declaring what they are, usually " this is the car I would have ordered new if I could have" or "If they made one I would have wanted it this way" Its usually the clone cars that get passed off as a fake.

Certified by Galen Govier with no documentation in sight.

My wasn't commenting about the taste or quality of said "tribute". There are REALLY nice fakes...ahem, tribute cars out there. The owners obviously spent time, money, blood, sweat, tears, whatever...putting it together. Nevertheless, it's still fake and it should be called as such.
Looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, walks like a duck................its a duck.

I have also seen many of these cars with boards in front of them declaring what they are, usually " this is the car I would have ordered new if I could have" or "If they made one I would have wanted it this way" Its usually the clone cars that get passed off as a fake.[/QUOTE]

Human nature being that which it is (and sadly because of that) I can see the term "tribute" being bandied about with less and less honesty behind it. Commando made a good point.

Nonsense, again many do with up front honesty with description boards.

As far as a fifteen year old goes .....so what? If he thinks its "awesome" let him. If he likes that old iron thats a good thing. Isnt it?

A fake car would mean its not even a car, something posing as a car. Like a 1 year old sitting in the high chair with one of those fisher price steering wheels....the high chair then becomes the fake car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back