SOLD 69 440 HP engine.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fake means to trick, pretend or decieve while tribute is to compliment, acknowledge or give as due. Given the huge financial incentive I suspect there are plenty of fake cars out there with vin/fender tags made to order. Tribute cars are just an above board honest attempt by the hobbist to recreate something. My .02.

Nonsense, again many do with up front honesty with description boards.

As far as a fifteen year old goes .....so what? If he thinks its "awesome" let him. If he likes that old iron thats a good thing. Isnt it?

A fake car would mean its not even a car, something posing as a car. Like a 1 year old sitting in the high chair with one of those fisher price steering wheels....the high chair then becomes the fake car.

The dictionary definition of "tribute" is to show respect.

The dictionary definition of "fake" is a sham.

I have never been to a show and met anyone who had built a "tribute" type car and tried to pass it off as authentic. In conversation they have always been straight up and said this is the car I would have ordered new if I had had the chance. And are usually really proud of their work.

I love to see the "15 year old pizza faced kids" admiring a car thats two or three times as old as them. Who cares what they think it is, no matter how its represented. These are the guys who will be carrying on the tradition.

Any time I see a youngster paying close attention to my car I will ingage him in conversation, give him a tour of the car with some history and let him sit behind the wheel..... I always get a big smile and a lot of politness back.

Point is..... The "glass half full" point of view is ... Tribute car. And the "Glass half empty" point of view is... Fake.

Last edited:
Clone, Tribute, whatever....
Still doesn't sit well with me.
No matter what the reasoning.
Yet, I have no problem with "recreation".
FWIW: I once built a "clone" that would have passed the toughest inspection had I made up a fake VIN. I refused to call it anything.

Sent using Forum Runner

Another question....

All this brings to mind another question. What about a "rebodyed" car....?
A complete but rare and valuable original that is in so rough condition that the componants... including the VIN and any and all ID numbers are transfered to a totally different but like body.

When completed does the original body cease to exsist as well as the donor car....? Does changing a componant make a car non original even if the componant is identical...? Weather it be a master cylinder or a body....

What are y'all's thoughts about that...?

restore or rebody....?

Do you really wanna hash that out?

Hypothetically.......
A barn find 1969 Hemi Road Runner convertible rusted up to the door handles.... but complete.....
You find a decent 69 Satellite convertible.... solid but needing a total restro.

You have the means, ability and facility to do such a job. What would your thoughts be..?

To restore such a car would leave nothing original. So a rebody starts to sound reasonable....?

Hypothetically.......
A barn find 1969 Hemi Road Runner convertible rusted up to the door handles.... but complete.....
You find a decent 69 Satellite convertible.... solid but needing a total restro.

You have the means, ability and facility to do such a job. What would your thoughts be..?

To restore such a car would leave nothing original. So a rebody starts to sound reasonable....?

I would do whatever was possible to create one hell of a car out of both cars. I wouldn't change the fender tags and would freely tell anyone who asked what the true story of the car and how it got to the present configuration.

A 4 speed in a Formal is considered just some idiot putting a 4 speed in a Formal to check off one more item on his bucket list...

No, to follow your logic it now will go through many hands and become the only four speed formal, Chrysler ever built, an experimental model. Maybe just a bucket list tick for you but you started something you apparently detest.

Stan, how long after you finished the formal and/or how many miles did you have/drive the 4spd formal before you sold it?

You can't overlook the fact that "tribute" cars dilute the value of the "real" factory built iron. I don't care what kind obtuse reasoning gets thrown up.... diminishing value is not a good thing for the guy with the real mccoy.

Stan, how long after you finished the formal and/or how many miles did you have/drive the 4spd formal before you sold it?
I was straightening out the last of some under the dash wiring screwups and a new carpet would have totally finished it when the NYB I have now came along. I had only about 500 mi. on it since the conversion. Shame. That was one more car that was supposed to be "absolutely I swear to god this is my last car, Pamela..."

<Sent using Forum Runner>

but you started something you apparently detest.
I just want to be around in 25 years to see badly the true story gets distorted and fights break out over it when it gets posted in the WIW section on Moparts...

I was straightening out the last of some under the dash wiring screwups and a new carpet would have totally finished it when the NYB I have now came along. I had only about 500 mi. on it since the conversion. Shame. That was one more car that was supposed to be "absolutely I swear to god this is my last car, Pamela..."

Do you regret selling the 4 spd?

Every day. But not in a bad way. I don't waste my time having "bad regrets".

I'm in the mindset that I'll never sell any more of my cars. Ever! Just add new classic Mopars. I do want to get a Fusie styled Imp in the next couple of years.
I'm in no hurry. And long term find a slab 'vert to complete my dream of having one of each C-Body style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back