69-71 Town & Country Wagon Headliner Replacement

Hank

Reaction score
If anyone is looking for replacement perforated cardboard headliner, a few years ago I sent paper templates to REM Automotive. They cut new pieces that included all the various holes for sun visors, dome lights, etc. and did a very nice job. I suspect they still have the pattern for the 69-71 and could make others from templates.

If anyone is looking for replacement perforated cardboard headliner, a few years ago I sent paper templates to REM Automotive. They cut new pieces that included all the various holes for sun visors, dome lights, etc. and did a very nice job. I suspect they still have the pattern for the 69-71 and could make others from templates.
So what is the cost for all of those perforated hardboards including all the horizontal strips that hold them together? Last time I checked, it was very high.

Personally, I will never put that stuff in one of my vehicles for the sake of originality. If you use your wagon at all, over time they will just start drooping again and cause another mess coming down on your head.

For me, headliner conversions to cloth are the only way to go unless ultimate originality is a must for you (and originality is usually a must for me, but I have limits).

Last edited:
They one in the 64 lasted over 50 years with no problem. I also got one from Rem and fit great it will outlast me by a long shot.
20220202_173253.jpg

So what is the cost for all of those perforated hardboards including all the horizontal strips that hold them together? Last time I checked, it was very high.

Personally, I will never put that stuff in one of my vehicles for the sake of originality. If you use your wagon at all, over time they will just start drooping again and cause another mess coming down on your head.

For me, headliner conversions to cloth are the only way to go unless ultimate originality is a must for you (and originality is usually a must for me, but I have limits).
Its been a while but it seems like 200-300 dollars at the time. I just reused the strips that were in the car.

Its been a while but it seems like 200-300 dollars at the time. I just reused the strips that were in the car.
My recollection is that when I was considering installing new perforated hardboard about 2 years ago was that the cost of each section was $200 - $300. To look like new again, I also needed the retaining strips which were also expensive. In the end it would have cost me twice as much as installing a new cloth factory headliner used in 1972 and up C bodies, which was $600 and should last forever and always look great.

They one in the 64 lasted over 50 years with no problem. I also got one from Rem and fit great it will outlast me by a long shot. View attachment 557190
I like that yours is color keyed. Most of the ones before your model year were all white perforated hardboard which also was a turn off to me. yours looks much better being color keyed. If you keep yours in a garage all the time, it should indeed last a lifetime. Few cars ever received such care.

I have the strips and clips from one of mine that is not longer going to use the cardboard
that I would be willing to let go of..... :)

A few months back Wyatt sent me a link where you could buy the headliner boards. But I don't recall if it's the same company or not.

My original 66 headliner is in very nice shape after 56 years although dry climate living helped. If the replacement pieces are comparable quality I would think that was a good investment.

DSCF5062.JPG

DSCF5064.JPG

DSCF5070.JPG

DSCF5072.JPG

Dan's and Don's wagons clearly have had excellent care over time and were kept out of the burning sun for any lengthy intervals to look as mint as they do. 95% of the cars I see with the perforated hardboard headliners after some 50 years are just junk and falling down.

The cloth headliners also provide an extra level of noise suppression in the cabin.

To each his own.................................

Hi, I agree both Don and Dan cars look great. Mine is toasted, and I would prefere the fabric liner. What do I need to convert it. Do the hood bows out of a sedan fit , although I would be one short for the rear section. Is the liner available and how are the bows attached.
Cheers Paul.

Hi, I agree both Don and Dan cars look great. Mine is toasted, and I would prefere the fabric liner. What do I need to convert it. Do the hood bows out of a sedan fit , although I would be one short for the rear section. Is the liner available and how are the bows attached.
Cheers Paul.

It is important first of all to find a really competent interior restoration guy. The guy I used was just excellent and I helped make the job easier for him. I am also assuming you are talking about doing a C body wagon - mine was a 1969 model T&C so in my case I went to Murray Park in Tiffin Ohio and asked him for the headliner bows from a 1972 and up T&C wagon that all had fabric headliners from the factory. I also had him get the dome light metal bracket that holds the dome light in these models over the front seat area and the similar one that goes in the rear seat compartment I also asked him to provide the rear area sawtooth section to which the headliner attaches as they normally do just above the windshield that is in all the models of C bodies for their cloth headliners. My body/paint guy welded them in place in the ceiling of my wagon.

The interior guy I used also made up the headliner himself for one of my other wagons (a B body in that case a Dodge Coronet Crestwood) and I would have had him do the same in my T&C because I did purchase one online for my T&C but my upholstery guy said it was cut kind of skimpy and it was difficult to stretch it successfully to attach to the saw tooth portions at the rear and front, so he would have preferred to just make up his own headliner. There is also some trim removal that isn't needed for the perforated hardboard but that is self-explanatory as he does the job. Not including the hard parts I obtained from Murray which were very reasonably priced, amounted to $600. I couldn't be happier with how it all turned out and to know I can take it out in the sun if needed and not worry about the headliner sagging over time ever again, but then it isn't exactly stock either which normally I would want, but this time deviated some.

In my Crestwood wagon I used a white perforated vinyl headliner to make it look much like the original white perforated hardboard in that wagon and I used a similar perforated vinyl headliner material in my 69 T&C. My installer also glued some additional insulation up there to quiet the interior.

Its not that hard to do by a competent guy with a little preparation by you.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info,
yes mine is a 1964 wagon so would the 1972 + wagons work for mine. If so are the saw-tooth sections front and back easly removed ( welded or fastened ).
What is needed to hold the bows in place. I have seen a guy cover his hardboard with the perforated vinyl,but mine is beyond repair.

Back