'69 Dodge/Plymouth Belvedere plant fender tag research. Help???

69CoronetRT

Reaction score
This thread: http://www.forcbodiesonly.com/mopar-forum/showthread.php?22028-1969-Dodge-Polara-4-door-hardtop-1400 got me to thinking about something regarding the Belvedere plant and cars built for model year 1969.

In '67 and '68, the plant used rivets to hold the tag to the body. The same was true for model years 70-72.

They started the '69 model year using rivets but by early October, they switched to screws and used screws for the rest of the model year.

Does anyone have a '69 Dodge or Plymouth built at the Belvedere plant (D code in the VIN) with a VIN number that falls between the two tags below?

Is the tag held on with ORIGINAL rivets or screws?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

(yeah..I know it's a quirk but my mom still loves me)

69_Belvedere_rivets.jpg

Does anyone have a '69 Dodge or Plymouth built at the Belvedere plant (D code in the VIN) with a VIN number that falls between the two tags below?

How am I supposed to know that if you have the VINs blocked off?

This thread: For C Bodies Only Classic Mopar Forum got me to thinking about something regarding the Belvedere plant and cars built for model year 1969.

In '67 and '68, the plant used rivets to hold the tag to the body. The same was true for model years 70-72.

They started the '69 model year using rivets but by early October, they switched to screws and used screws for the rest of the model year.

Is the tag held on with ORIGINAL rivets or screws?

View attachment 65614

My research indicates that they started the model year using screws not rivets. 801 SPD.

I'm not 100% sure, but I feel strongly that at the plant, different lines in the plant used what was on hand. Either rivets or screws.

I've seen both throughout the year,....which leads me to the conclusion that there is no definitive answer. Or to say,.."this car built on this date MUST have screws or rivets", wouldn't be accurate.

sure my 69 Fury Cv has screws too and is earlier buillt but not inbetween the timeframe Doug mentioned

Carsten

My research indicates that they started the model year using screws not rivets. 801 SPD.

I'm not 100% sure, but I feel strongly that at the plant, different lines in the plant used what was on hand. Either rivets or screws.

I've seen both throughout the year,....which leads me to the conclusion that there is no definitive answer. Or to say,.."this car built on this date MUST have screws or rivets", wouldn't be accurate.

Pictures?

Was there a difference in model line?
Did the Belvedere plant have two lines; one for Dodge and one for Plymouth?

I have an 808 car with rivets. The 829 car used rivets.

The problem becomes if the tag has ever been off the car. If the tag was removed, it makes it harder to know how it was originally affixed.

Typically, there is a transition period for new parts. I agree. I don't think you can probably nail down an exact date as to the change but it is useful to learn 'on or about dates there was a transition to screws'.

Is this minutia? Absolutely. But I find the minutia interesting.

I showed you some september tags above.
With screws

Here is my show car tag SPD 714

the Belvedere plant did the same thing for the 1970 model year. both rivets and screws.

I showed you some september tags above.
With screws

Here is my show car tag SPD 714

That's really interesting. Thanks for posting.

Do we know for sure it came with screws?

I need to put together a spread sheet for comparisons.

FWIW...96**** VON is consistent with early built '69 Dodge show/promo/special use VONs.

960153 is a promo Charger R/T
960168 is a promo Coronet R/T

the Fury show car vert has original paint and is unrestored full matching.
I bought it 6 years ago.
Seller didn't know "in detail" what he had.
It was parked since the mid 80s in Georgia.

I do not see an obvious reason why the tags should have been bolted loose and be reinstalled later on. But 1969 is a long time ago and who knows what happened inbetween?

my '69 convertible was built sept. 8th '68 and has screws, the parts car was built january 24th '69 it had screws also, the car in the junkyard also had screws, I've yet to remove a fender tag from any '69+ mopar that was held on by rivets.

My 2 cents worth,

Nick

Back