69 fury brake booster

savoy64

Reaction score
looking for fitment---77 chrysler NY brake booster to a 69 fury with 74 (big) disc fronts---it looks like an 8-9 diameter unit----concerned about the bolt pattern---it has the black backing plate like the 69,s have.......anyone do it?

Last edited:
looking for fitment---77 chrysler NY brake booster to a 69 fury with 74 (big) disc fronts---it looks like an 8-9 diameter unit----concerned about the bolt pattern---it has the black backing like the 69,s have.......anyone do it?

The correct booster for a '69 C-Body is a 9" Bendix dual diaphragm unit (with disc brakes). The later single diaphragm boosters are larger than that. There are usually fitment problems with the booster hitting the valve cover on the 440 engines and there are also issues with clearing the shift linkage and the fender strut. In short, I do not think that the '77 booster will fit.

Dave

Last edited:
my 69 c body booster is a single diaphragm----my master cylinder leaked into it and caused a hole-----i opened it up and looked at it------i am told you cannot get a replacement for it--------world pac has a generic rebuild kit for other parts inside but it doesnt include the big diaphragm----i looked at a 77 chrysler at a denver pick apart and it looks like the same diameter and is easily twice as thick as my original--i would guess it is a dual diaphragm unit--it uses the same 4 bolt mounts as my new master cylinder but i am wondering if the firewall bolts are the same--------i digress---tomorrow i am going to hit the old car yard-- speedway-- near dacono colorado as they have about 20 fuselage cars there-----i can peel down the booster out in the yard to see if the big diaphragm is good------if i have no luck i will go down to denver and grab the one out of the 77 i also might take the rear end as it is a 3.21 posi unit----the only think missing off this car for you denver guys is the steering column--it is a big block car--the yard is at about 66th/broadway-----monday is 20% off....

my 69 c body booster is a single diaphragm----my master cylinder leaked into it and caused a hole-----i opened it up and looked at it------i am told you cannot get a replacement for it--------world pac has a generic rebuild kit for other parts inside but it doesnt include the big diaphragm----i looked at a 77 chrysler at a denver pick apart and it looks like the same diameter and is easily twice as thick as my original--i would guess it is a dual diaphragm unit--it uses the same 4 bolt mounts as my new master cylinder but i am wondering if the firewall bolts are the same--------i digress---tomorrow i am going to hit the old car yard-- speedway-- near dacono colorado as they have about 20 fuselage cars there-----i can peel down the booster out in the yard to see if the big diaphragm is good------if i have no luck i will go down to denver and grab the one out of the 77 i also might take the rear end as it is a 3.21 posi unit----the only think missing off this car for you denver guys is the steering column--it is a big block car--the yard is at about 66th/broadway-----monday is 20% off....

www.boosterdewewyexchange.com does a good job of rebuilding them. You could also have your holed unit rebuilt. The '77 units are all single diaphragm units, but you need to find one for a vehicle that has drum brakes as the boost rates are very much different. Unless you are planning a conversion to discs, you do not want to use a disc brake booster.

Dave

Last edited:
looking for fitment---77 chrysler NY brake booster to a 69 fury with 74 (big) disc fronts---it looks like an 8-9 diameter unit----concerned about the bolt pattern---it has the black backing plate like the 69,s have.......anyone do it?
74 disk brake assys wont fit a 69 as the lower ball joint in 74 cars is screwed into the lower control arm whereas the 69 to 73 cars have the lower ball joint mounted to the spindle.

actually at the start i bought a 1973 D100 for a donor----the upper control arm (ball joint) the exact same as the vaunted 73 fury and 74 fury----the big spindle of the 73 d100 and 74 fury are exactly the same and only need a 5/8 spacer made to go between the spindle and the lower ball joint and you just buy new lower ball joints-------i ran the 69 fury drum booster and it worked just fine with the 73 d100 master---the brakes have great feel and dont lock up easily like those touchy dual diaphragm units---i should have bought a new 73 d100 master as that is what took out my drum booster.....

actually at the start i bought a 1973 D100 for a donor----the upper control arm (ball joint) the exact same as the vaunted 73 fury and 74 fury----the big spindle of the 73 d100 and 74 fury are exactly the same and only need a 5/8 spacer made to go between the spindle and the lower ball joint and you just buy new lower ball joints-------i ran the 69 fury drum booster and it worked just fine with the 73 d100 master---the brakes have great feel and dont lock up easily like those touchy dual diaphragm units---i should have bought a new 73 d100 master as that is what took out my drum booster.....
I would be interested to see how this spacer works, it would be good to see if the truck spindles can be easily retrofitted into our 65-73 cars. 74 cbody car spindles will not go into the earlier cars.

back on the road---bought a booster at speedway off a 70 polara wagon drum brake car---blew the dust off the outside---cracked it open for inspection----installed it ---- $30 out the door----did a cruise for a dairy delight cone---all is good.....and on monday i hit the pick a part previously mentioned---40% off for labor day---i got the rear axle complete--9 1/4 3.21 posi for $70.....

Last edited:
Back