69 Imperial fender mounted turn signal removal

ctbrooklyn

Reaction score
Does anyone know how the heck to remove the fender mounted turn signals on a 69 Imp? My service manual seems to have no info on this. I'm wondering if it is easy enough to make it worthwhile before the body shop sprays my ​Ginger. If the fender has to come off to remove one, they're staying on! Thanks for any advice/guidance!

Reach up under the fender with the hood open where the lites are,feel around and you should find two speed nuts,3/8 IIRC gently and I mean GENTLY spin off the speed nuts, unplug the wiring harness and done! Don`t cut that friggin wire.

I'm off now to visit Ginger at the body shop. My body shop guru said 'party on' when I said I'd give it a go at taking the signals off. I need to remove the front door panels anyway as somehow I forgot to do that before taking it to him. I'll be sure and update on how the signal removal went. Thanks all!

I made a few photos for you at the shop today to give you an idea of what you have to deal with:

dsc-b (6).jpg
DSC_0033.jpg
DSC_0034.jpg

You will need a 1/4 socket.
DSC_0038.jpg

dsc-b (6).jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0038.jpg

p.s. I don't know if you read this before you start but removing them will be the easy task, to put them back on will be a pain in the ***..! Especially because of these useless thin sheet metal nuts...

001.jpg

On the other side, to leave the turning signals onthe car is botch.

So, good luck ;)

001.jpg

Thanks everyone! Vodka, we 69 Imp folks need to keep in close touch, huh? So anyway, my car was built early in the model run, one of the first in fact, being built the first week of September, 1968. And as sometimes happens on the first few cars of a new design, my fender signals had NO crappy little nuts - not on either side. What it had was sticky black tar gobbed on each of the thin spindles that fit into the two holes. I used my fingernails blindly to pull some of it away, took a hard plastic trim removal tool, gently pried front and back, side to side, on each signal. Voila! They popped right off. Love Mopars and early run vehicles. 'Hey Fred, what kinda nut you figger goes here? Well hell, give me some of that black goo and well send her on down the line."
Thanks again everyone.

Absolutely! Not much left and the few '69 Imperial owners around here should help each other with specific stuff! Mine is an early birs too (11/68). I had this black tar stuff on some screws on the interior.

You have to use some sort of sheet metal nuts because of the coarse thread. No regular fine threaded nut will work here.

Back