69 Imperial Models: need clarification

69CoronetRT

Reaction score
DeMatt sent some new Imperial data and color and trim books to be scanned and posted on HH (Thank you!)

While reviewing the 69 Color and Trim book I noticed something that was reinforced by the data book. (Page 34 of data below)

Both the data and color and trim 'early books' (typically released before the models were actually introduced to the public meaning they were compiled, printed and shipped in late summer) make no reference to a Crown 2 or 4 door hardtop.

Both books show a revision of information in October that reference the Crown 2 and 4 door hardtop.

There are often mistakes in the books and updates are issued through the year as mistakes are found, new models, features, colors or trims are introduced.

My question: Was the Crown 2 and 4 door hardtop available at the beginning of the year when the models were released meaning the early books omitted references to the model and have mistakes OR was the Crown 2 and 4 door hardtop model added to the line up AFTER the early books were printed meaning the books required the October revision?

Page_33_Combined.jpg

I recall it this way: the Crown was planned to be available only as a 4-door sedan, but the hardtops were added just before starting to produce 69 Imperials.

I can’t speak to the ‘69s but my ‘67 Crown Coupe was scheduled to be built on August 23rd of ‘66.

Possibly the intention was to drop the crown models, but after dealers received these books, they requested them so as not to lose an imperial sale to someone without the means to buy a LeBaron.

Considering the production numbers on the Online Imperial Club website, any initial decision to stop Crown production was wise as only:
Crown sedan 1617
Crown HT 4dr 823.
Crown HT 2dr 244

LeBaron HT 4dr 14,821
LeBaron HT 2dr 4572
Limousine 6

Were the numbers built and only 1333 (4dr) and 254 (2dr) Crowns were produced in 1970, the last year for Crowns.

Last edited:
It's funny that with such low production, I've seen 3 of the 244 1969 Crown coupes in the Philadelphia area. One at a car show, one in a junk yard, and one on Craigslist.

Jeff

Considering the production numbers on the Online Imperial Club website, any initial decision to stop Crown production was wise as only:
Crown sedan 1617
Crown HT 4dr 823.
Crown HT 2dr 244

LeBaron HT 4dr 14,821
LeBaron HT 2dr 4572
Limousine 6

Were the numbers built and only 1333 (4dr) and 854 (2dr) Crowns were produced in 1970, the last year for Crowns.

In 70 only 254 2dr Crowns were produced.

Back