69 newport convertible cowl drain issue

Maymarmag

Reaction score
I am currently replacing the front driver floor pan in my Newport. It was bad. Drivers floor was always wet after washing the car. With all the carpet and panels out, I was able to see that the water seems to be coming from the cowl drain hole on the drivers side down the front firewall just near the hi beam switch. Is something clogged? Should there be some sort of tube directing the water? Service manual doesn't really get too far into it. Anyone have any experience with this? Any advice would be appreciated.

pete

Well, it could be a number of things:

1) it could still be clogged- the side cowl vent should send the water out to the bottom of the front fender (which is why you often see then rotted out).

2) The seam sealer (which is very porous) may have led to the cowl seam rotting out and the water takes the shortest / easiest route so it soaks yor floor and never gets to exit via the side vent.

3) The side vent clogged in the past (VERY common) which led to the mud/ slime rotting a hole into the inside of the car through which the water pours, thus soaking your carpet.

4) Dirt/ water over the years settles in the crevice around the windshield, in behind the trim rotting lots of holes...exacerbated by bugs/ stone chips and vinyl tops. Also very common.

Over the years I've seen scenario #3 a LOT. My money is on #3.

Add to the above ...... There may be an oval rubber plug with a flap to allow water to drain, just below the brake booster, firewall side.

Clear the cowl out of acorns, leaves, pine needles and everything else that got in there over the last 40 years. If that rubber drain OR the drains in the lower fenders are clogged water is coming in and rotting metal out.

I'm not 100% it's like this - but many Mopar body styles are... There is a flat within the cowl where the floor vent assemblies bolt to. Thos come up about 1" taller than the flat surface that forms the bottom of the cowl (if the dash is out - that sheetmetal part is the bottom of the cowl). On a lot of cars that seam rusts so water can run past the floor vent assembly and down the firewall to the floor. that's why the floors rust out. Check the windsheild channel and cowl sections for any pin holes. You can usually see the issue by sticking a bright trouble light down inside the cowl, and going inside the car looking for light up behind the dash.

Back