69 Newport electrical issues

Maymarmag

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have a 69 Newport convertible and I could use some help.

Problem: when the car is under full power - air, lights on, etc. the idle gets lower and rough. When I give it gas it it improves the issue.

What I have done:
Checked battery voltage and it is ok, but will go down when problem exists
Adjusted the idle
new belts
checked the alternator and it is cranking out 15 volts
Installed fast idle solenoid
cleaned battery cables and ground
connections from battery to block and body to block

Next steps:
New battery?
Alternator not big enough?
I don't know!

Any ideas?

Thsnks,

Pete

Which alternator is on there?
Probably one from a big box auto parts store and it's too puny.
You need at a minimum an 85A alternator.
If you got the smarts on how to upgrade to a 100A, that would be ideal.

How does it run at an idle with the air and lights off?

Problem: when the car is under full power - air, lights on, etc. the idle gets lower and rough. When I give it gas it it improves the issue.
Next steps:

Any ideas?

Thsnks,

Pete[/QUOTE]

You may have an under rated alt but it could be the voltage regulator also. I have installed an electronic voltage regulator on both my 65 and 69 mopars with improved results. It is a direct install replacement.
I have a hidden modern type radio in my 65 that plays music through a MP3 player. It was starting to cut out at times but would come back on when I turned the lights on. I also noticed the amp guage would move to the right on acceleration and thats when the radio would cut out. I installed the electronic regulator and all is fine now.

Heres a link to an ebay site where I get them.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1960-1969-C...Parts_Accessories&hash=item256d22b397&vxp=mtr

Thanks Commando!

I thought that the Alternator may not have been producing enough juice. I will check on getting a bigger one, and let you know. What would I have to change to upgrade to a 100amp alternator?

1978 NYB.

Idles great without air on. Idles fine with lights on now that I have adjusted the idle rpm up a little.

Blie Fury 361,

My amp guage also goes to charge when I accelerate. The needle does move a lot more than I think it should. I will try a new alternator first and then look at the voltage regulator.

Thanks again guys. I will let you know how it goes.

Pete

Back