69 Polara convertible spotted at local body shop

MrMoparCHP

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
IMG_6008.JPG

Alan

Yes it's mine, the paint on it was far from acceptable and there were some flaky repairs. The taillight probably have dust on them, doesn't matter as I have NOS assemblies.
The dutchman panel was the worst of it, when I took the car by my body guy he tapped on it and it sounded like a snare drum with metal rattling. I crawled in the trunk and spotted lots of rivets so i got the grinder out and went at it. After a 1/4" of bondo I got to metal.

This piece was riveted in.
2021-05-16_005.jpg

As I moved towards the center it didn't get much better. The patch was lifted to expose more metal riveted in.
2021-05-16_008.jpg

2021-05-16_010.jpg

Under that there were three brackets riveted in
2021-05-16_028.jpg

After all that was removed I was able to get in there and clean it up.
2021-05-25_001.jpg

That will be tricky to fix and it is seen from in the trunk.
2021-05-25_003.jpg

Aside from this the only rust found was on the front right floor and very little there.
2021-04-06_029.jpg

Alan

That is exactly what happened to my Dutchman panel, pop riveted metal over a rusty original. I ended up sourcing a donor and replacing the whole thing.

Crazy what you’ll find under bondo. I know for a fact that there is nothing but beer cans jb weld and bondo on mine. My previous owners expert repair skill set didn’t include knowing how to rivet though. Good save.

That whole area needs to be sand blasted to remove rust out of the pits. You'll never get rid of it otherwise.

Back