69 to 71 exhaust manifold interchange?

Dmc1400

Reaction score
Good morning
Can anyone tell me if 69 c body HP exhaust manifolds will fit a 71 c body with little or no modifications?
Thanks in advance!

The right side C Body (also B Body) HP exhaust manifold is the same from 68 - 72. The left side C Body HP exhaust manifold changed for 1970 and there was a different left side HP exhaust manifold for a 440 vs. a 383 for 70 - 72.

I'm going to make some "in general" comments from my observations, over the years. I'll defer to FURYGT and others in your particular situation.

While the exhaust manifolds might bolt to the particular cylinder head, look similar to other manifolds, there can be some significant differences in the location, angle, and "clocking" of the exhaust manifold flange, where it mates with the individual head pipe or y-pipe assy.

In many cases, the angle of the flange can change as does the clocking/orientation of where the exhaust studs are located. This can make knowing the exact model year(s) the particular manifolds were used can be important, as you order OEM-spec pipes from normal exhaust system parts vendors or the repro vendors.

When I upgraded my '80 Newport 360 2bbl to factory duals, using salvage yard pipes, where possible, a one model year difference meant I also needed the matching exhaust manifold on one side to made with the "new" parts.

My '80 360 2bbl had a "new for '80" vacuum-operated heat riser valve. The '79 had the traditional thermostatic spring model, AND it was rotated 90 degrees from the '80 model, which also meant the exhaust flange orientation was different. So I had to go back and get the '79 exhaust manifold to install on my '80 engine. One more little thing not planned on, but needed. If I'd been going to a muffler shop to so the duals deal, they could have just built something, but as I was using OEM used parts, having to change the rh manifold was needed.

In looking at exhaust manifolds at swap meets, I've noticed the flange angle/clocking situation many times, for the same engine in different model years or body series.

Key thing is to KNOW what's on your vehicle and how it all hooks up. Sometimes, things which are perceived to be "all the same", aren't.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Good morning
Can anyone tell me if 69 c body HP exhaust manifolds will fit a 71 c body with little or no modifications?
Thanks in advance!

If your question is which manifold is correct, I agree with Fury GT. The '69 manifold will bolt on but the exhaust flange is at a different angle so you will have to build a custom pipe to make it work.

Dave

FYI, '71 383 HP left side exhaust manifolds are easily found, I may even have one. The 440 HP left sides are somewhat hard to find.

Looks like im gonna go with Schumacher tri y headers.. The car had a 383 with TTI headers. To be honest i didn't know they wouldn't work with the 440 im putting in.
Any one have experience eith the tri y header?
Thanks

Looks like im gonna go with Schumacher tri y headers.. The car had a 383 with TTI headers. To be honest i didn't know they wouldn't work with the 440 im putting in.
Any one have experience eith the tri y header?
Thanks

The 383 B series engine is shorter and narrower than an RB series 440. This causes the flange angle to be different for the headers even though the heads are the same. This in turn can cause the headers to have clearance issues with the frame and steering gear when trying to use the 383 header on a 440. The other issue might be that some of the 440 specific headers have a larger tube size to compensate for the increased flow volume of the larger displacement engine. It would probably be better to use a header that is engine specific, but if you are on a budget the 383 header can be tweaked to fit with a pry bar and a block of wood in most cases. Some headers are also universal fit and are designed to work with either engine, so you will need to do some homework to see what fits your application. Another issue is that Mopar B/RB heads were designed not to use manifold gaskets as they are a precision fit. I never had much luck getting these heads to hold header gaskets as the headers are always a tight fit, changing the gaskets is usually a major PIA.

Dave

I've had cars since the 70s but this is my first Mopar.. I'm learning a lot that's for sure.

Get rid of the white after the engine swap. PLEASE

40796-b4878cc90156a0d82909878b1af87da4.jpg

118263 2004 left.jpg

40825-ae6378ee7b50d2cd2a81ca1a2117f76d.jpg

Back