70 300 headlight motor relay is where ?

marko

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
ive been looking for the headlight motor relay in my 70 300, i know its supposed to be on the instrument panel lower support left of the steering column support but im just not seeing it....
did they put them in different places on a/c cars ?
anybody got a pic by chance or can think of another place to look ?

tx
mark

You need to be a contortionist to see it. Look at the park brake pedal and follow it all way to the top of the park brake assembly. The relay is mounted a couple of inches above the top of the brake assembly. You may have to remove the hose to the driver side A/C vent to see it and it is a big PIA to remove the relay. Sometimes easier to pull the cluster for access, a lot depends on how good you are working upside down under the steering wheel.

Dave

thanks !
i was worried it was going to be as bad as a 74 75 imp & 76-78 nyb..... sounds like it will be
mark

FWIW, it costs a fortune for a NOS version because the Chargers also use it.

Also!!! Be sure all your light bulbs are working!! It's a really screwy way that Chrysler designed it to return ground through the filaments of the bulbs. Have a bad low beam?? The headlight doors won't close.

If you do decide it's 100% a bad relay, it can be replaced with a $10 Tyco relay without hacking up the wiring.

Headlight Relays with Hidden Headlights In Post #3 I show how I replaced the headlight door relay with a Tyco unit.

Back