70 300H Convertible ??????????

Dan Scully

Reaction score
I was able to take a quick look at this last week. It has all the Hurst parts etc and looks real . Quick look under the hood there was 1 data plate on the core support and had only special order and special paint on it nothing else. I ,am going back to look for another data plate broadcast sheet etc. Any ideas on anything that would identify it as the real thing? With my little knowledge on these it should not exist? Any help would be appreciated .Thanks

I only knew of one of these existing and I thought it was accounted for, I am sure someone here has more input. But hey it has to be worth investigating real well.

70_hurst_vaughn_2b.jpgHere she is ...

70_hurst_vaughn_2b.jpg

I only knew of one of these existing and I thought it was accounted for, I am sure someone here has more input. But hey it has to be worth investigating real well.

That,s what I thought. Never say never but the friend that has it is pretty savvy on Mopars. On my next trip I ,ll see what I can dig up # wise.

If it has the satin tan seats from the Imperial, that would be another indicator.
There's a fake or two out there with their original Chrysler seats. White I think.
The fakers were too cheap to recover them.

If it has the satin tan seats from the Imperial, that would be another indicator.
There's a fake or two out there with their original Chrysler seats. White I think.

It's a whole different seat and seat frame. A couple seat frames from a junked 300H came with my car and I thought about it for a minute or two....

Like Stan says, all the clones copied the Linda Vaughn car and used the white bucket seats to mimic that promotional car. There is no way to confirm that there was more than one of those promotional cars made. If the body code plate on the car you are looking at shows a CM27U0C starting VIN, that would also indicate a convertible that was factory (if the body code plate looks original and not a fake copy) with the 440HP engine, but the bucket seat code should also be there for a real production 300Hurst, which would be M6T5 and usually there is an A12 code on the plate as well. It should be obvious if the body code plate has been reproduced and is fake, but a guy trying to pull off a real Hurst production convertible will do their best to make it look real. I have never even seen a photo of a claimed production Hurst convertible that had the production interior and then if there was one, it would probably have a brown boot color to match the interior, not a white one.

Mark from Canada did a real nice original factory looking car.... A12RAG was his handle on Moparts and the Drydock. He sold it about ten years ago

Like Stan says, all the clones copied the Linda Vaughn car and used the white bucket seats to mimic that promotional car. There is no way to confirm that there was more than one of those promotional cars made. If the body code plate on the car you are looking at shows a CM27U0C starting VIN, that would also indicate a convertible that was factory (if the body code plate looks original and not a fake copy) with the 440HP engine, but the bucket seat code should also be there for a real production 300Hurst, which would be M6T5 and usually there is an A12 code on the plate as well. It should be obvious if the body code plate has been reproduced and is fake, but a guy trying to pull off a real Hurst production convertible will do their best to make it look real. I have never even seen a photo of a claimed production Hurst convertible that had the production interior and then if there was one, it would probably have a brown boot color to match the interior, not a white one.

Took a second look and found the other data plate from the cowl support . All the codes put it to be a base engine 440 4bl= E85. Did the 300 start with the base engine or should it have the E86 440 hp engine? The only thing I can not find out is what this other plate might have meant? Pic below Thanks for all the help.

DSC03858.jpg

Took a second look and found the other data plate from the cowl support . All the codes put it to be a base engine 440 4bl= E85. Did the 300 start with the base engine or should it have the E86 440 hp engine? The only thing I can not find out is what this other plate might have meant? Pic below Thanks for all the help.

The data tag is likely from a fleet car that was special ordered and painted "special", and added later.

The car should have a "standard" fender tag with option codes etc., on the car, like ALL Chrysler cars of 1970.

The Hurst convertible does NOT have A12 on the fender tag as it is not a A12 package car.

The car you are dealing with is not the Hurst convertible, or the scheduled "second" Hurst convertible, which was never built.

It is a clone/replica/fakie-do/tribute,...whatever.

The data tag is likely from a fleet car that was special ordered and painted "special", and added later.

The car should have a "standard" fender tag with option codes etc., on the car, like ALL Chrysler cars of 1970.

The Hurst convertible does NOT have A12 on the fender tag as it is not a A12 package car.

The car you are dealing with is not the Hurst convertible, or the scheduled "second" Hurst convertible, which was never built.

It is a clone/replica/fakie-do/tribute,...whatever.

I found the other tag in a box and after running the #s I came up with the same thing . It has a boatload of Nos parts with it so if the deal is right I might do it.Thanks

I am curious about your comment here. All 300 Hurst cars were to have "A12" towards the top of the fender tag. Are you saying this would not appear on the convertible because it is not a hardtop, or are you saying it's not an "A12" as in the lift-off hood cars? The two are not the same thing. According to Govier, all 300 Hursts should have the A12.

Please clarify. Thanks.

I found the other tag in a box and after running the #s I came up with the same thing . It has a boatload of Nos parts with it so if the deal is right I might do it.Thanks

Any chance you snapped a couple of photos of the whole car?

I am curious about your comment here. All 300 Hurst cars were to have "A12" towards the top of the fender tag. Are you saying this would not appear on the convertible because it is not a hardtop, or are you saying it's not an "A12" as in the lift-off hood cars? The two are not the same thing. According to Govier, all 300 Hursts should have the A12.

Please clarify. Thanks.

I think the issue here is was that the convertible may not have started life as a "Hurst 300" maybe one of them was coded as such but if more than one "official" convertible was made they may not have been true Hurst 300 package cars but a standard 300 with the hood deck lid and paint job to make it look like a Hurst 300.

From what I have been reading on the board it may seam that not all true Hurst 300 cars had the A12 on the data plate.

I wouldn't trust what Govier has to say about anything but a Hemi car.

Alan

Please clarify. Thanks.

Not to step on Alan but....

GG's published work has been 'corrected' more than once. While very knowledgeable, it is impossible for one person (GG) to know everything. There are others, less visible and notable, in the hobby that have vast knowledge and resources too.

No, not all 70 Hurst cars code A12 on the tag. (variances or changes in fender tag coding throughout the production run are not unusual especially for package cars).

I agree this car probably did not start out as a Hurst car but was converted to look like a Hurst. The tag coding could be typical of a standard convertible but may carry a specialty VON or then again....if it was simply a standard convertible pulled off the line to convert, there may be nothing remarkable about the tag. It could look like any other tag.

Not to step on Alan but....

I'm not going to get in a battle of words but I have read through his number extensively and they are not without their errors. Where I commend him on his efforts and fully understand the depth of what he has done I do not worship him but at the same time I do not jump on the bash Govier bandwagon.

Part of the problem I have is that many of the production numbers are reverse engineered from percentages and not actual production counts.

I guess I'm tiered of people quoting his numbers like they were written in stone.

Alan

Back