70 Chrysler 300 rear springs

Ed Lewis

Reaction score
Where can I find the original style interleaf material that is at the ends of each leaf in the spring assenbly? The original material is a heavy woven fabric (possibly asbestos) 3/32" thick and held in place with plastic "buttons". Also needed are NOS front leaf spring hangers #2403798. 412 769 9606

There was a genuine Chrysler part number on those inter-leaf friction/anti-squeak pads. Held in place by two dowels which snapped into matching holes on the ends of the spring leaves. By observation, many would squish out over time and use. We replaced several on our '66 Newport as they wore and started hanging out sideways. Chrysler said they needed to be there, so we replaced them. For the replacements to wear a few years later!

The factory HD/Police springs used a strip of a zine-coated metal rather than the wax-coated woven items for the standard springs.

The purported reason for them was probably non-squeak spring leaves as the suspension went up and down. BUT it could also be an "inter-leaf friction reducer" for a more "coil spring like" boulevard ride.

The last time the inserts wore out on the '66, we didn't replace them. No significant difference in ride or spring noise, that I could tell. By observation, they WILL fail again if they are replaced.

Just some thoughts and observations,
CBODY67

There were very thin zinc interleafs that were in between each leaf at the center bolt area. Are these the zinc strip that you are referring to? I need a source for those zinc strip at the center bolt area also...

I would suspect these zinc interleaf items are more universal than not. Look for a spring shop that caters to the trucking industry, even school busses, (about the only place that leaf springs are used any more, although some pickup trucks still use them). That would, at least, get you into a supplier/vendor network that might have those items. Might need to trim them a bit for width, possibly.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Zinc and/or zinc impregnated fabric, depending on the vendor and assembly plant.

The zinc plates are available as generic replacement stock from spring shops, and more expensively from eBay vendors. The spring shop guys will roll their eyes at you beacause they're a PITA to deal with and somewhat toxic if not handled properly. The spring guys told me to use a quality graphite spray instead, and the readily available plastic tip liners which are held in with their integral molded dowels.

Lots things we used to do "bare" now need "protection" to do. New chemicals and things we didn't used to worry about are now "everywhere".

When it gets to where the minute levels of copper in brake friction material result in complete reforumulation of brake friction materials due to such copper allegedly making it into the streams and rivers (where fish live), I wonder how we ever got past all of that lead residue (from leaded gasoline, for decades) getting into the waterways of the world. Or as the lead is heavier, did it settle out before it got to the rivers? Or was this a conspiracy from the ceramic brake friction operatives to promote their more expensive products? Which also result in increased brake rotor wear!

Just some thoughts and observations,
CBODY67

Back