70 Fury Heater Fan Noise

Apollo12

Reaction score
I have a fan noise that is a click related to the fan speed like the fan is hitting something. It is coming from this box under the glove compartment. How can I access it to take a look? Any suggestions? Thanks!
70 Fury 3, no AC.

20220530_115655.jpg

First thing to do would be to get a factory service manual. You can download them free on the internet. Someone will chime in with that info ,I prefer an actual in hand manual. They make reproductions of them too.

Not an easy unclip job to take a look. It might just have a leaf or Maple tree seed in the blower case.

The actual fan and motor assembly is inside of the passenger side fender well. You can remove the fender well by unbolting it from the fender. You will need to jack up the car and remove the passenger tire to do this. Once this is done, you can unbolt the fan assembly from the air box. Usually if you are getting noise from the fan hitting something, critters have built a nest in the air box which needs to be cleaned out to fix the problem. Would also be a good time to check the motor bearings and if in doubt, replace the motor while you have it out.

Dave

The actual fan and motor assembly is inside of the passenger side fender well. You can remove the fender well by unbolting it from the fender. You will need to jack up the car and remove the passenger tire to do this. Once this is done, you can unbolt the fan assembly from the air box. Usually if you are getting noise from the fan hitting something, critters have built a nest in the air box which needs to be cleaned out to fix the problem. Would also be a good time to check the motor bearings and if in doubt, replace the motor while you have it out.

Dave
That would make sense about critter debris, when I got it the cowl vent ducts were cram full of leaves and nests. I made a little flexible tube attachment for the shop vac and spent quite a while pulling stuff out from inside on both sides. This sounds like a large project. I will get a service manual so hopefully I can actually see how this is connected. Thanks!

I went and got a FSM. It says to remove the right inner fender shield and to see group 23 for detailed illustrations. Any idea what page they are referring to? Is inner fender shield, fender well, wheelhouse all the same thing?

20220612_132458.jpg

Back